Contributory Pension spouse query

Savvy

Just curious if spouse retires (under TCA) with say 10 years credits (1/4 pension). They would get approx €63/week on current state pension value.
What happens if I then retire a few years letter on full contributory, is the IQA still payable for the spouse?

From what I see here they may not be considered dependent.

Anyone with thoughts on this? Others will have had this experience where their spouse reaches state pension age before them

This implies that she would be eligible if she passes the means test.

To get an IQA your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant must meet the conditions set by the Department of Social Protection - see 'Rules' below. The person does not have to be totally dependent on you (for example, they may be working and earning or have income from other sources) but any income they have must be below a certain level - see 'Income limits' below.

Just curious if spouse retires (under TCA) with say 10 years credits (1/4 pension). They would get approx €63/week on current state pension value.
What happens if I then retire a few years letter on full contributory, is the IQA still payable for the spouse?

From what I see here they may not be considered dependent.
I don't think you would be able to claim for your wife as an IQA. Rules say that you cannot claim for an adult dependent if they have a SW payment in their own right- there are a few exceptions, but a contributory pension payment is not among it.

You may might be better off if your wife does not apply now for her pension. That way you can claim for her later as an QA. Her QA payment will be means tested. You both need to do some calculations before you make any move.
And there is always the possibility of calling into Citizen Information for some advice.

I think she would be able to opt for any means tested pension which would be higher than her contributory pension.

She could apply for for IQA or non contributory pension when your income reduces.

thanks for your responses. It's a few years away yet but as part of some pension planning I just wanted to understand the impact. A little more work to be done on this then,

Back