contract to permanent

Snap

I have just finished a one-year fixed term contract and have been offered another two-year fixed term contract. My boss tells me that he has to make me permanent at the end of the 2 year contract.

Is this correct?

As far as I know after two fixed term contracts an employee is deemed to be permanent, check out the labour relations commission website.

My understanding is that you can have one more fixed-term contract of one year bringing your total to 4 years. After that you're made permanent or let go.

No you would have to be permanent at the end of this one. The law is Maximum of two contracts not exceeding four yesrs in total.

You may be kept on a succession of fixed-term contracts for a maximum of 4 years in total - after which you may become entitled to a contract of indefinite duration.

However, you also be retained on a fixed-term contract beyond 4 years if your employer can provide an objective grounds justifying a renewal and the failure to offer you a permanent contract.

You must be provided with this justification prior to the expiry of your contract. As this requirement to provide an objective justification must be complied with at each renewal of a fixed-term contract, I would suggest that you are currently entitled to a contract of indefinite duration.

This is due to the fact that you have said "I have just finished a one-year fixed term contract and have been offered another two-year fixed term contract." This suggests that the offer to renew your contract came after the expiry of your initial one year contract.

If this is the case, you will have become entitled to a contract of indefinite duration if your employment has continued beyond the expiry of your initial one year contract.

Case law in this area has held that a purported renewal based on an objective justification that was provided one day after the expiry of the initial contract was enough to base a finding of a contract of indefinite duration.

If you were informed of the proposed renewal, the objective grounds for such renewal, and the reason why you were not being offered a permanent contract prior to the expiry of your contract, you have no case. This will also be the case in two years time when your two-year contract will come up for renewal.

Could I ask a query on this as I find myself in a similar situation and am awaiting update from HR who up to now have not been very firthcoming with information!

I was employed in Oct 04 on a 1 year fixed contract, in 05 8 weeks before that term expired, this was extended for a further year. I was on maternity leave in 06 and did not get any written terms of condition that this contract would be extended. When returning subsequently I kept working and it was not until Nov 07 that I received another 1 year fixed term contract. (dated from Oct 07 - Oct 08)

I have since then been posted out for my own records 4 1 year fixed term contracts for each year I have been employed.

It is up for discussion at the moment whether my contract will be made permanent beyond October 08 - but judging by the reply above - I wonder if the way the contracts have been handled eg 4 1 year contracts, does this mean they contravene what is laid out in employment law and mean that I should have been made permanent by now.

Any advise very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back