Continuous Double vs Single White line on the road

roker

I just looked this up and found an answer.(below)
Can anyone clarify the difference

• All traffic mustkeep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access). The single continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all. And double continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all, at all.

I am not sure what you are asking?

Here is a link to the statutory instrument

In my experience many motorists have no idea what any road markings mean.

All traffic mustkeep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access). The single continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all. And double continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all, at all.
This is an old, old joke, worse than some of mine. :)

So my question, what is the difference between a single white line and a double white line? both have the same function ie. You cannot cross it

You can't cross either. If you have a double line, and it is broken on your side, you can cross it. Any further questions from the slow learners?

You can't cross either. If you have a double line, and it is broken on your side, you can cross it. Any further questions from the slow learners?
I can't remember seeing a double continous line with a break.

Where I live has a continous single line but has breaks near entrances.

But that said, I'm driving 23 years and I only overtake tractors. Otherwise I just drive in a normal fashion.

I can't remember seeing a double continous line with a break.

They are common enough.
On some roads the right to pass is alternated. So you have a dotted white line on your side and a continuous white line on the other side - traffic coming the other way must not pass. This changes to a stretch of double white line (no passing by anyone), before changing to a continuous line on your side and a dotted line on the far side, giving traffic coming towards you the right to pass (subject to normal safe procedures).

Last edited:

• All traffic mustkeep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access). The single continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all. And double continuous white line down the centre of the road means you can't cross it at all, at all.
Someone has a sense of humor.!Not sure if its appropriate here though!.

Is this like an Askaboutmoney cicada or something?
Can we expect you to ask this in 2034 too?

Reactions: Leo
Is this like an Askaboutmoney cicada or something?
Can we expect you to ask this in 2034 too?
Unbelievable 2012 and now again??

That's mad Ted, the same question, the same post. Is this a rhetorical post : poster? Some people never learn

We received the answer this time,
A single broken white line, traffic can overtake in both direction.
A double white line can determine that overtaking can be only in one direction determined by which side has the broken line

That makes no sense.

I get it.

https://www.chill.ie/blog/what-do-the-markings-on-a-road-mean/

country-road.jpg

From the link:

"Take a look at the image above. You can see that the middle of the road has both a broken and solid line.

For drivers on the left, they must adhere to the broken white line. This means they are allowed to overtake when it is safe.

For drivers coming towards us on the right, they must obey the solid white line, which means they’re not allowed to overtake at all.

You should stick to the line that’s closest to your side of the road."

I get it.

https://www.chill.ie/blog/what-do-the-markings-on-a-road-mean/

View attachment 7752

From the link:

"Take a look at the image above. You can see that the middle of the road has both a broken and solid line.

For drivers on the left, they must adhere to the broken white line. This means they are allowed to overtake when it is safe.

For drivers coming towards us on the right, they must obey the solid white line, which means they’re not allowed to overtake at all.

You should stick to the line that’s closest to your side of the road."
That should clarify it..

Except the the OP references continuous lines, not broken.
Here is the answer:
Double continuous white lines: these denote no overtaking or straddling the line as in the case of a single continuous white line and you may only cross them for the same reasons, if there is an obstruction in your lane such as a vehicle, bicycle or horse moving 10kph or less, or to enter a side road or driveway if it is safe to do so
As an aside I'm sure not many people remember/know the difference between:

Single longer broken white lines, with shorter gaps between the lines - Potential Hazard ahead.

Double broken white lines - Signal a solid white line lies ahead.

A good reason imho why we need to have a system to have licensed drivers resit theory or driver tests.

P.S. Don't get me started on motorway rules, stay in the left most lane when it is empty. The others are for overtaking only. At times I wonder if I'm driving in the US/France etc when on the M50 as the inside lane is mainly empty.

Back