Home Contents policy which specifies wooden floors

europhile

Is there an insurance company with which I can specify wooden floors to be included? I'm looking online and not having much luck. It's for an apartment. Many thanks.

usually these would be considered part of the BUILDING and not contents. Could you have a word with management company?

A very simple (and not a strict legal) view, is that contents are anything you can take with you. Would you take the floors away if you were moving out????

RSA will do it. Most insurance companies wordings allow for anything that you are responsible in terms of fittings for properties where you technically cannot insure your buildings. Should not be a problem.

Do you own the apartment or are you a tenant? If it is the former, then as Ravima suggests, the floor will be insured under the apartment block policy. If the latter, and you want the contents policy to cover the floor, then as peteb suggests. Just make sure that the definition of contents includes for fixtures and fittings.

Thanks, guys. I am an owner/occupier. On further investigation, I have discovered that, as you said, the floor is covered under the bloc policy but there is a huge excess on any claim for flood damage.

I suppose it would be possible to insure against this excess?

Tends to be as per the terms of your management agreement, from what I have heard.

Back