Contact details from licence plate?

txirimiri

An extremely kind Good Samaritan rescued me today by changing my punctured tyre on the side of the motorway. I only got his first name and wrote down his license plate number. Anyone think of a way I can find out his address to write to thank him?

Don't think so without some inside info.

Anyone working in the Motor Tax office or a guard would be able to get the address, but not give it out.

Maybe if you knew a friendly insider they could forward on your letter.

I'm sorry to say that the only people who could supply you with that info. (members of An Garda Siochana, employees of Motor Tax Offices etc.) would be in breach of data protection legislation if they did so.

An extremely kind Good Samaritan rescued me today by changing my punctured tyre on the side of the motorway. ...
Good Samaritan are not the words I would use to decribe someone foolish enough to engage in this sort of behaviour on a motorway.
Apart from putting his own life and others in danger, he broke the law.

You and your Good Samaritnn might want to consult the ROTR (p 121 and pps 125-126) before either of you ventures out on a motorway again.

I'm glad both of you and the others you endangered survived; you might not be so lucky next time.

[EDIT: In the new edition of ROTR , the page numbers are 142 and 149-150]

Mathepac, wasn't it fortunate that the OP didn't require your help or else you'd have driven past afraid of breaking the law! What has happened to the old notion of helping someone in need without even thinking about it. We need more good samaritans! Hope you never find yourself in a similar situation.

Good Samaritan are not the words I would use to decribe someone foolish enough to engage in this sort of behaviour on a motorway.
Apart from putting his own life and others in danger, he broke the law.

You and your Good Samaritnn might want to consult the ROTR (p 121 and pps 125-126) before either of you ventures out on a motorway again.

I'm glad both of you and the others you endangered survived; you might not be so lucky next time.

How can you be so certain it was not a rest area?
How do you know they did not behave in a responsible manner ?

Your assumptions are way OTT based on the info provided.

Mathepac, wasn't it fortunate that the OP didn't require your help or else you'd have driven past afraid of breaking the law! What has happened to the old notion of helping someone in need without even thinking about it. We need more good samaritans! Hope you never find yourself in a similar situation.
The OP needed the help of properly equipped and trained motorway recovery services, not my amateur Good Samaritan efforts. The SOS phones on the motorway are designed to notify the appropriate emergency service of a breakdown / other incident and to summon help.

The average time for a vehicle / person to remain parked on a motorway before suffering a collision is about 16 minutes.

Here is what AA Ireland has to say, amongst other recommendations for drivers unfamiliar with motorway driving :

"Emergencies & Breakdowns ...

... the most human reaction in the world is to stop and help. However, you should think first. The Garda and services like AA Rescue are trained to deal with a vehicle collision or breakdown - they will deal with the situation expertly, and will avoid the risk of further driver hazards being caused by well-meaning motorists."

[broken link removed]

How can you be so certain it was not a rest area?
Because the OP states "... on the side of the motorway ...". A rest area is by definition, off the motorway.
... How do you know they did not behave in a responsible manner ? ... .
Section 11 of the current ROTR describes motorway behaviour for drivers in the event of a breakdown. Neither OP nor the Good Samaritan complied.
... Your assumptions are way OTT based on the info provided.
I have made no assumptions. I have used the info posted by OP and that provided by the RSA

The average time for a vehicle / person to remain parked on a motorway before suffering a collision is about 16 minutes.

I've hear this statistic bandied about before -but I cannot believe it is not misuse of some valid statistic...

If this were the case, dozens of people would be injured on motorways every week in Ireland alone, based purely on seeing the number of cars stopped on the hard shoulder as one drives up and down the country.

I assume it's actually of the people who do stop on the hard shoulder AND were then involved in a collision as a result, they were there just 16 minutes on average?

You were not there.....and therefore the response cannot be regarded as a fair analysis of events or the dangers they posed to those involved or others at that time and place.

However, in terms of good advice on what not to do and compliance with legislation its bang on!

I'm sorry to say that the only people who could supply you with that info. (members of An Garda Siochana, employees of Motor Tax Offices etc.) would be in breach of data protection legislation if they did so.

Don't forget garage mechanics.

Back