Conservatory overlooking our garden

Pat123

Hi
We live in a semi detached house and our neighbours are planning on building a conservatory immediately next to the hedge between our gardens. We don't mind this at all, but they are planning to have glass on all sides, and so that they will be able to look into our garden and kitchen from within the conservatory.
We think this is a bit of an invasion of privacy, and we're just wondering if this is normal, or should we mention it to them ?
Obviously we don't want to fall out with them over this, as they are nice neighbours and keep to themselves.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

so long as the hedge remains then there should be no issue but i would grow the hedge on my side taller for privacy

Thanke therave.

So, can I take it that if we want them not to put glass on the side of the conservatory next to the hedge, then we would have to appeal to their good nature ?

correct, you would be appeal to their good nature... they may not agree though if these glazed panels face south or west.

ground floor windows are never considered to 'overlook' adjoining properties.

It is available to you to erect a 2.0 m high boundary wall / fence without permission to aid your privacy.....

Ok, thanks folks, I guess we'll try the 'appeal to their good nature' approach !

i agree and maybe throw in that u are considering a fence or a wall if they are going to take the hedge down.. but i doubt they will want to have the windows on their conservatory as the border between you and them...remember if they can see you then u can see them as well adn they might have a rethink

Did they get Planning Permission or is it an exempt development?
There are rules regarding the proximity of windows to neighbouring properties for exempt developments.

You might ask if they could put in opaque glass /opaque film where it overlooks your property.

Pat123

Under planning law you are entitled to privacy. Don't know if this is a planning issue but a chat with the planning section of your local authority might be helpful. You might get some info that can help you in your negotiations with your neighbours. Good luck

regards

Guby

you might ask em to fit glass like in some bathroom windows that lets light in but doesn't let people see in or out.

This is a quote from the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council website which I found:

"Can I build a window to the side of my extension? Yes, providing the following guidelines are applied;
Terraced and Semi-Detached Houses
Windows at ground floor level shall not be less than 1 metre from the boundary they face."

Don't know if this helps, but glazing the side of the conservatory next to you seems very inconsiderate. Maybe they're just thoughtless and if you point out your concerns they will be perfectly reasonable. If they're not, you could always build a lovely breeze-block wall 6' high for them to look at ;)

Back