Consent to sale from council

moesha

Ok please can somebody clear this up for me, or at least try.
We are in the process of selling our house and buying another house (ex council). Our contracts for our house sale have been signed by both parties so its binding. WE cant pull out or either can they.

But our purchase has been signed also by both parties but its subject to conset from the Co Council. Now our Solicitor has been told that the CoCo maynot issue consent as we may not be "in need of housing". We have 2 small kids and are very very concerned. Also my solicitor said that the Coco need to see our house be registered to the new owners before the council willl give us consent, which in effect will leave us homeless for a few weeks or whatever. (We have gave all the documents requested. Sale contracts, purchase contracts, loan approval, hpl form from the rev comms.) But then they can turn around and ask us how much we earn and if we are over €40k they can refuse to give us consent. Which will leave us homelss until we can find a new house to purchase.

We are totally pisssed off about this. But i rang the council and i was told that everytihng is ok as they have a copy of our sale contract and this will suffice. I dont know who to believe. I have engaged the services of a local td and co councillor to get thim to find out the exact position and rules etc etc on consent to sales. I cant wait until tomorrow as i cant sleep at night thinking about this.

Has anyone ever been in this position???? ANd if so what was the outcome??

To me it seems you are in need of housing, you have binding contracts for sale of your own property and while yes that was your choice you are now in need of housing. If they don't issue consent to sell to you by the time you sell, you could always threaten to arrive at the council offices, kids in toe and demand emergency housing.
I wouldn't be overly concerned in your case, the council can be very slow but if you want things done a daily phonecall may well be required.

Hi Moesha,

We are currently selling an ex tenant purchase house in Meath. Here's what we've been told. If the purchaser is a first time buyer consent to sale will be granted no problem. If the purchaser can prove Local needs(near family or job relocation), then the chief housing officer will take it under consideration and will most likely pass it. Though I've been told that pretty much anyone can be considered for purchase, the only real circumstance in which an outright refusal can be expected is if the purchases had just sold a house at a profit(that sold for more than the value of our house), in which case they are not really in need of this house as they can afford something else.

We were also going to purchase an ex tenant purchase house in Cavan, and I rang the housing office there who told me there are NO conditions attached to the sale for the purchase, but the vendor just had to prove that they wouldn't end up back on the housing list in the near future! So all counties are different.

You should have to fill out the purchasers part of the consent to sale form either way. We have one here ready and waiting for our potential purchasers ;)

Best of luck and I hope you get it sorted soon!

Deb

Back