Conor Skehan "The homeless industry makes me so angry"

I also found the following which gives a breakdown for Dublin spending in 2021 by DRHE of approx €150 million
Dublin City has something like 10x per capita homeless than Donegal. A tight rental market plays a part but even the DCC CEO has said that homeless people come to where the services are better.

I'm a DCC resident thankfully at very low risk of homelessness. I appreciate that homeless people need taking care of but at the same time DCC seems to have much more energy for homelessness than it does for things like public parks, pleasant streets, or swimming pools.

Dublin City has something like 10x per capita homeless than Donegal. A tight rental market plays a part but even the DCC CEO has said that homeless people come to where the services are better.

I'm a DCC resident thankfully at very low risk of homelessness. I appreciate that homeless people need taking care of but at the same time DCC seems to have much more energy for homelessness than it does for things like public parks, pleasant streets, or swimming pools.

I assume that dealing with homelessness is a statutory duty whereas the other things that you list are optional extras. Anyway, it seems to be far more important for our Councillors to fly the Palestinian flag from Council buildings and ban living cribs from the Mansion House than to provide citizens with an enhanced quality of life.

Anyway, it seems to be far more important for our Councillors to fly the Palestinian flag from Council buildings and ban living cribs from the Mansion House than to provide citizens with an enhanced quality of life.
Yes, they are too busy supporting a sexist, racist, oppressive fundamentalist terrorist organisation to actually do their job. Virtue signalling tweets (probably on a phone made by slaves) are easier than doing their job.

Last edited:
See that's a crazy notion. It's not the responsibility of the State to prevent homelessness. Most people end up homeless due to abuse, trauma and addiction. Unless the State is going to put cameras in every room in every home in the country then they can't prevent that.
The State should put what resources it can into addiction and mental health services, though the criminalisation of addiction is a much broader issue, but it certainly can't be held responsible for every trauma and every horrible thing that happens to private citizens.
I said "If" they become homeless because of the state. This means there can be other reasons that are nothing to do with the state.

Last edited:
I presume Conor Skehan is angry again this morning after learning that the Fr. Peter McVerry Trust bought a 6 Flat property in Kilmainham for €1.8 million this year that has been sold for €970,000 5 months earlier. After wasting nearly a million Euro they want a €2 million bailout from the people of Ireland. Maybe that's why RTE like them so much; they share a love of wasting other people's money.

Last edited:
I presume Conor Skehan is angry again this morning after learning that the Fr. Peter McVerry Trust bought a 6 Flat property in Kilmainham for €1.8 million this year that has been sold for €970,000 5 month s earlier. After wasting nearly a million Euro they want a €2 million bailout from the people of Ireland. Maybe that's why RTE like them so much; they share a love of wasting other people's money.
Not only that...

Yes, I saw that as well. Haas there been any accusation that they paid above the market rate for those properties?
I don't know, but it doesn't look well. Conflict of interest & basic corporate governance...

I don't know, but it doesn't look well. Conflict of interest & basic corporate governance...
Sure, but they are a charity run by a priest and so are above reproach and can do what they want. That's the way it works with charities, right?

It looks like they massively overpaid for housing.

Indeed.
I presume Conor Skehan is angry again this morning after learning that the Fr. Peter McVerry Trust bought a 6 Flat property in Kilmainham for €1.8 million this year that has been sold for €970,000 5 month s earlier. After wasting nearly a million Euro they want a €2 million bailout from the people of Ireland. Maybe that's why RTE like them so much; they share a love of wasting other people's money.

I said "If" they become homeless because of the state. This means there can be other reasons that are nothing to do with the state.
DHRC do actually keep a record of reasons for homelessness in Dublin - very few of these involve the state, and mostly involve "life changes" or relationship breakdown rather than structural reasons related to state housing.
The problem is that we have a very static and "tight" housing sector in most of the country, meaning that there is very little vacancy or opportunity to move people at very short notice. High rents also mean that people without means are at a particular disadvantage when it comes to housing mobility. We also have a very high population of "state dependent" people living in emergency or short term housing (some of whom are homeless, some of which would be short-medium term housing for Ukrainians or other asylum seekers), which consumes both accommodation and resources to manage it.

This is madness, a 20 year lease at €2 million a year with no get out clause.

from the Dublin Inquirer...

Dublin City Council officials expect to pay at least €100,000 a year in rent for each of the homeless families that they plan to accommodate in Avalon House on Aungier Street. That figure – which shakes out at more than €8,000 a month for each family – is before any costs of refurbishment, repairs, or staffing...It plans to spend €6m on the works to turn the building into a family hub...
Dublin City Council wasn’t using normal procurement processes to source homeless accommodation at the time of the deal, and this wouldn’t have happened if they had been, says Councillor Mannix Flynn.

The problem is that we have a very static and "tight" housing sector in most of the country, meaning that there is very little vacancy or opportunity to move people at very short notice.
A healthy rental market would actually have a higher level of vacancy than at present.

Back