Conor Pope just does not like Revolut

Yes, if she is not tech savvy, missed multiple pop up, she should not use Revolut or Apple Pay or tap to pay. She seemed to be able to log in online so I just wonder what her level of tech know how is.

Did she also give these guys access to her AIB account. It sounds like it going from this.

AIB instigated the chargeback quickly enough but Revolut sent the money to the scammers, and now expects the victim to pay. It is the incessant emails from Revolut to pay them this €1200 that she was complaining about. All Revolut is going to do is contact her again. I think the best Conor Pope hopes is that Revolut will clear the debt as a sign of goodwill which looks great in the newspaper.

It's unfair to call people stupid - we are all vulnerable to cons in some form or another - but what she did was at the limits of reason. She gave a random person on the phone full access to both her Revolut and AIB accounts. Thousands of euro in savings. This is like a stranger calling to your front door and asking if they can try on your diamond necklace.

I don't see how either AIB or Revolut are on the hook for anything here. She gave the thieves full access to her accounts. Revolut had no reason to block the transactions (she did 2-factor authentication and everything) so they paid out in good faith. AIB then took back the money so Revolut are now in the red.

It doesn't sound like one of those high-pressure, time sensitive scams either; there were many times she could have called a halt to it. She even said "I did ask how could I be sure who they were and he gave me his employee ID number, name, and told me that he had a wife and two kids." so she must have had some suspicion.

My takeaways are that this can happen to anyone, regardless of your IQ or where you bank, and if you have any inkling it could be bogus then just hang up.

Why is it unfair to call people stupid?

Is this society’s latest “don’t criticise anyone, medals for all” nonsense?

These are people who are responding to the proverbial Nigerian Prince and sending their bank details to him to get their share of the $26m sitting in the dead General’s account/UN inspectors’ escrow account.

Why is it unfair to call people stupid?

Is this society’s latest “don’t criticise anyone, medals for all” nonsense?

These are people who are responding to the proverbial Nigerian Prince and sending their bank details to him to get their share of the $26m sitting in the dead General’s account/UN inspectors’ escrow account.

Because making an error doesn't make someone an idiot. And calling someone stupid doesn't add anything to the conversation, it just discourages people from opening up about their mistakes. If people are afraid of being called fools then they keep these things to themselves and we all lose out on the chance to learn from their experience.

Humility and empathy are free - hubris will cost you.

Because making an error doesn't make someone an idiot. And calling someone stupid doesn't add anything to the conversation, it just discourages people from opening up about their mistakes. If people are afraid of being called fools then they keep these things to themselves and we all lose out on the chance to learn from their experience.

Humility and empathy are free - hubris will cost you.

These concepts aren’t mutually exclusive. One can feel sorry for victims of the Nigerian Prince but they can still be idiots.

A bit like virtue signallers.

Calling people stupid isn't constructive or helpful.

We have all gotten caught out at one time or another (many times in my case).

However, it does raise questions about what responsibility financial institutions bear when it comes to scams.

In this case, the customer lost €1,100 - not a small sum - but not big enough to seriously impact her life.

However, perhaps where someone transfers over €5,000 to a new contact, banks should be obliged to do additional checks?

However, perhaps where someone transfers over €5,000 to a new contact, banks should be obliged to do additional checks?

There has to be a balance.

I get irritated by all the checks "Do you know this person?" "Why are you making this payment?" "This might be a scam?".

I don't want payments to new payees stopped because some people are stupid enough to transfer money based on an incoming call , but it's all right as he says he is married with two children.

There has to be a balance.

I get irritated by all the checks "Do you know this person?" "Why are you making this payment?" "This might be a scam?".

I don't want payments to new payees stopped because some people are stupid enough to transfer money based on an incoming call , but it's all right as he says he is married with two children.
What about an opt-out clause? e.g. I opt out of additional security checks for transfers over €x amount.

It's misleading to suggest that this could happen to any of us which in some way absolves her from blame.

How many people here have
1) Taken an unsolicited phone call
2) Believed that they were from their bank
3) Input all their bank passcodes on website or over the phone?

It's careless and I believe it's rare enough.

Most people who get such calls, hang up immediately.

Brendan

I am very scam aware but nearly got caught out recently. I thought I was paying a customs charge to An Post but only twigged at the last minute. Similarly, I have friends who have also nearly fallen foul. I think it happens a lot more often than you'd think. Saying it's stupidity makes people embarrassed to admit what happened. I think it is arrogant to believe you are "unscammable."

I am very scam aware but nearly got caught out recently. I thought I was paying a customs charge to An Post but only twigged at the last minute. Similarly, I have friends who have also nearly fallen foul. I think it happens a lot more often than you'd think. Saying it's stupidity makes people embarrassed to admit what happened. I think it is arrogant to believe you are "unscammable."

It’s not arrogant at all. It’s just a function of being careful and starting from a position that things like this are a scam. For example, that Conor Pope story is ridiculous.

Back