Connecting Camcorder - USB Streaming Not Supported

BobbyFowler

When I was using Windows XP I was able to use USB Streaming to transfer the tapes contents from my Camcorder to my Laptop. My new laptop has Windows Vista & it's not supported. I checked it out & it said to get an I.link cable or an A/V connector. I called down to one of the stores & was told to use Firewire so bought one of those cables. Got home & noticed that my laptop doesn't have a firewire port. Anyone with a tip with what I need to get. In the short term I'm using my old laptop but it's a bit knackered & slow to respond.

FireWire / i.LINK / Lynx / IEEE 1394 connectors and cables are different words for the same thing, but if your old laptop used USB streaming to transfer tapes then evidently your camera doesn't have a FireWire connector either, so I'm not sure what use a FireWire cable is in your circumstances.

Is it FireWire or your camcorder that's not supported in XP?

The camera docking station has an AV & a DV connection as well. The DV looks like Firewire. Windows Vista doesn't support USB streaming with this camcorder, so they're saying to use Firewire or DV.

Hi all - thought I'd revist this one. Still having the same problem. My new laptop has Windows 7 and when I download the driver for the camcorder, it says that it doesn't support Windows 7. I've been using an old Sony Vaio laptop for the last few years to copy the movies across. Problem now is that 1/3 of the screen is bust and I reckon it won't be long before the whole thing goes. Is the only solution I have to get a new camcorder? It's a Sony Tape Camcorder. Cheers.

I've had similar problems Bobby. I recently bought a DVD maker from Aldi which you use to plug in your camcorder ( I also have a Sony, it is a Mini DV one) to the laptop via USB but I can only get sound and black and white picture - the yellow connection doesn't seem to work so I can't get colour. But using the usb connection provided with the camcorder to connect to the laptop doesn't work for me either, and as with you, I was advised to use a Firewise connection which my laptop doesn't have a port for. So for now the DVD maker is my only option but I'd love to know of any alternatives.

Just to say I've been round the houses on this one as well and firewire is the way to go however you are going to achieve it.

Back