Congestion charging

G

Guest116

Heard briefly that this is set to be introduced at some stage down the line.

- Do we really need it?
- How much would it cost?
- Are there real public transport alternatives?

I drive 25 miles into dublin every day and I dont think the traffic is too bad, or maybe I have gotten used to it. I will already be paying a parking levy soon and with a congestion charge on top that will seriously have an impact on me.

The alternative is to drive to Maynooth train station which has minimal parking and take a 50 min train journey into Dublin, then another 1 mile walk. Maybe I am lazy and used to the car but I do not look forward to the day that congestion charging will be introduced.

Any thoughts?

Re: Congesion charging

I think it is a valid idea but not for another 100 years or so when public transport has entered the 21st centuary never mind the 22nd!

I don't understand how the Minister can talk about cutting public transport services and then talk about introducing a congestion charge in the space of two weeks. The mind really boggles sometimes

Re: Congesion charging

- Do we really need it?
- How much would it cost?
- Are there real public transport alternatives?

I drive 25 miles into dublin every day and I dont think the traffic is too bad, or maybe I have gotten used to it.

Any thoughts?

It is another way of raising taxation, however you can agree with it from an environmental standpoint, it would be good to see a lot of the traffic in Dublin reduced, but there is no way this can be introduced until people have a viable alternative, CIE are talking about reducing the number staff, buses and routes - if a decent public transport infrastructure is not in place people would be forced to continue driving into Dublin and paying the congestion tax.

Back