Conflict of interest with solicitor

Claire1981

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would have some info. on this . . .

Myself & my boyfriend have recently gone sale agreed on a property. We paid our deposit yesterday and gave the EA our solicitor's details to find that the vendors share the same solicitor as ourselves. Does anyone think there is a conflict of interest here?

At first we thought it was ideal however after giving it some thought we're wondering if it's ok.

Thanks.

There is indeed a conflict but a good solicitor should suggest how to deal with it properly (eg different partners for each party ) and explain what will and should happen clearly to you , and why .

If the advice is crap or unclear they are not a good solicitor in my opinion so find another.

have had this scenario before as I have bought property where my solicitor acts for the vendors(developers).

Even though I know my solicitor well, and would never question his integrity, his practice does not act for the vendor and the buyer....ever.

He gave me the details of another solicitor that he was happy to recommend to act on my behalf. Obviously the developer was worth a few more quid to him !! He told me that that solicitor has a similar recipricol arrangement when they had a conflict of interest.

The same thing happened to me when I bought my place a few months back. The developer is using the same solicitor that I use, even though the firm I dealt with are a large enough one, they recommended that I go through another firm just to rule out a conflict of interest.

My current solictor recommended another solicitor who's offices are literally 5 doors up the street and even arranged a meet and greet for me and the new solicitor. I must say I found the new firm very good and efficient.

Thanks everyone. We have gone to another solicitor. The existing one wasn't even comfortable with another solicitor in his office looking after us just in case anything would go wrong.

Back