Condensation on Bedroom Windows

Sorry, I missed this.

Its a Delonghi (I can't spell the name of it)

Low noise so its not a problem, although its running in a spare bedroom right now. It costs about 3c an hour to run. I'd prefer to pay that than kill myself with mould and mildew.

Cost €149 in Argos. I got it in the North and was about €120 there.

Hi wexford_dude,

Are Passivent vents available in hardware shops in Ireland? Can't find anywhere to buy them online - they look very good on their website

Hi PaddyH,

The suppliers in Ireland are Richmond group in Rathcoole.Don't have the number on me but a quick google should do it.
Again unfortunately they are expensive buggers.

Best of luck
Wex Dude

Mould can only grow when relative humidity is above 60%. N one wants open air vents or windows in winter but this really is the answer. Air as much as you can to reduce moisture levels.

With such widespread mould, you'll have trouble controlling it now. Prevention is better than cure but the infestation needs curing. Call in a mould professional - there are some in Ireland. Remeber, while live mould is growing in your home, its filling the air with spores...not good!

Just to show the power of opening windows. This morning after getting up and showers etc our bedroom had a humidity level of 69%. I have tilt and turn windows and opened the bedroom window fully for 2 mins - Bit windy and cold ourside so plenty fresh air came in! Within those 2 mins the humidity level dropped to 48%.

Last week I also fitting a Fresh Air Trickle Vent - http://www.freshairtricklevent.com/ - bought for €18 from Canada - extremely easy to fit. Benefit of this vent is it can be made AIR TIGHT if necessary - So you can have ventilation when you want and also prevent heat loss at other times by closing vent completely.

This looks good Paddy H but do you have to drill a hole into your wall and if so then how do you make sure this device fits tightly and there is no air leakage through the new hole?

Hi BarneyMc,

I replaced a regular slide vent which leave in alot of cold air especially if vent is exposed to wind etc - also they leave in alot of noise. So there was a 4 inch hole (sewage pipe) already in the wall and the trickle vent fits perfectly and when fitted it completely closes the gap between the vent and the wall. You can then twist the vent anti-clockwise to allow air to circulate or twist clockwise to make air tight. When air tight it prevents more noise also. We have trouble with neighbours dogs barking and it helps alot.

Hi PaddyH,

That sounds good. So it fits a 4 inch diameter round hole?

I have old rectangular wall vents that have been blocked off (I know this shouldn't have been done but I suppose it shows how draughty and non-air tight wall vents can be).

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to fit these devices (€18 each) to all the old wall vents in my house and also will this be noted when I go to sell the house (BER rating)?

Hi BarneyMc,

Yes the fit perfectly in a 4 inch diameter hole.

I did the same myself before - filled it up with expanding foam - But you need ventilation and I regretted closed the vent. I think these vents are a happy medium - they will allow ventilation when you want it and allow you to close them airtight if you want also.

You can contact the company and they might do a better deal than €18 each if buying more than 1 - less shipping costs etc. I found them excellent to deal with - it did take about a month to arrive but they replied promptly to all my emails etc.

Try using bleach to remove the mould. That's what they use on "How clean is your house". Mould on walls can be from lack of insulation too. I had this problem in a corner of my ensuite. I cut out a hole in the plasterboard to discover there was no insulation here. I also have mould around my windows in the back of the house. The ensuite and bedroom, both north facing which would make them colder rooms. Yet to investigate. None of the vents are done properly either. A hole knocked out of the wall and the vent covers stuck on (barely). This made the house cold very quickly as the wind blew in through the walls. I can even see cobwebs blowing out from behind a socket !! I've fixed the one in the sitting room but it allows alot more noise thru now cos is straight as opposed to having to pass over a block in the window bay roof space before getting to the other side.
Houses built during the boom tend to suck.

PaddyH, I went to buy one of these and it was working out at $39+$12 shipping. That's more than €18...?

i would say the vent is there for a reason so it shouldent really be closed,bedrooms with no ventilation usally are prone to getting condensation on the windows

In my experience most of those vent fitted by builders are not air tight and even when closed theres a draught from them. I doubt closing is going to have that much effect of condensation. The probably some other problem that need resolving.

Hi Mad M,

Yes I see it's 51.95 USD. I got charged $29.95 CAD - I'm not sure if there is a different way into the site where a different currency might be shown. It's worth emailing them and ask what's the best price they can do it for.

AlbacoraA. I'm sure you could block the vent fully - BUT if you do so you need to open the windows ALOT more and most people aren't around the house during the day (those that still have jobs thankfully anyway!) to open windows - Hence when vents are very important. You MUST have some ventilation.

AlbacoraA. I'm sure you could block the vent fully - BUT if you do so you need to open the windows ALOT more and most people aren't around the house during the day (those that still have jobs thankfully anyway!) to open windows - Hence when vents are very important. You MUST have some ventilation.

I just making the point that most standard vents are far from airtight even when closed. I'm not suggesting blocking them fully. My own let a force 10 gale through. I'll be installing better vents that have baffles to stop wind coming straight through. I'll also be sealing around the vent so that air can't get into the wall space.

Personally I think the standard vents that are installed in most houses are a joke.

I agree completely - If the standard vent is exposed to wind etc - they are a joke. I must say that the Fresh Air Trickle Vent (that cost me €18) does close air tight and can be fitted in 5 mins - so for me I get the best of both worlds.

I'd say you wouldn't have to close a trickle vent or similar. Once the bulk of the draught is eliminated.

Theres more here...
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

open the window for as long as possible each morning, to allow the window to dry. Or sleep with a window open a little

I too have condensation on my windows everyday. There's so much that the windowsill is soaking!! Ive noticed some damp spots on the walls too. Whether its from the condensation or not, i dont know. Ive tried the above suggestions with no improvement. anyone have any idea on what i can do now?

It just goes to show the problems that arise when a house is too airtight.

Back