Computer Warranty and Large Chain Store

elainem

I bought my laptop in a well-known computer chain store at the begining of June. Just over two weeks ago I had to bring it back as it was failing to charge and the network card was not working. They told me that they could not fix it in the shop as I did not take out insurance and that they would have to send it back to Dell as it is under manufacturer's warranty.

When I went to the Chain Store two weeks ago they told me they would send it off within a few days. However, yesterday, over two weeks later I got a call to say that they were only sending off my computer today. They told me that my computer had been in a queing system to see if they could diagnose the problem and fix it in the shop. I told them that they informed me of the problem the day I had brought it to them and told me they could not fix it there for me as I had not bought the insurance.

The worst is yet to come! They told me that they would be sending my computer off to Dell today for the charging problem to be fixed - that this would take up to 35 days. Then, the computer would come back to them and have to be sent off to Dell again for up to another 35 days to fix the network card. I couldn't believe this inefficiency - and it now looks like I will be without my laptop for nearly three months. I am due to start college again at the end of September and really need it.

The guys in the Computer Chain Store were so unhelpful it was unbelievable. Has anybody any advice on what I can do. I am now faced with possibly having to buy another laptop. The children have a pc which I can use, but I really need a laptop for college. What are my rights in this situation? Really would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Name the shop!!..
According to the National Consumer Agency..
http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

1 Always ask for a receipt
2 If you have a complaint, act quickly
3 You are not entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind

4 Goods (including those bought in a sale) must:
  • Fit the description given
  • Be of a quality fit for sale
  • Be fit for their purpose
  • Match any sample show
  • Have the full retail price clearly displayed
If not, the retailer must fix the problem.

You are entitled to:
  • Have repaired, replaced, or refunded, any goods that turn out to be faulty or wrongly described.
The laptop shouldn't have failed in anyway, in the short amount of time from you buying it. Yes they have offered to repair the laptop.. but the lenghy time involved is totally unreasonable. I would ask for a full refund.

PC World or Currys ? Same company anyway.

Don't let them fob you off - those timescales are crazy.

Similar thing happened to my nephew with his laptop and dealing with Dixons ... he had to resort to Small Claims Court to fix the issue.

I note the heading on your query. This problem has nothing to do with the warranty.
This should be covered by the sale of Good Act which has already been clearly explained by a previous poster.
I would bring along a copy of the Sale of Goods Act to the store and ask for a refund and mention the Joe Duffy show

I used to work in a Currys store in the UK and I have never heard of this happening, as far as I know, if it is a just a faulty unit then it has to be fixed by the store that has sold it (this applies for all products I can remember except for xboxes) and the sale of goods act (in the UK anyway) specifies that this should be within a "reasonable time frame". If you have the coverplan or whatever it's called from Currys the good has to be repaired within 21 days or replaced. I would say the fact the store held it without sending it for repair for 2 weeks is unreasonable, and i would question whether they actually had it in store or had sent it to their own repair centre who have been unable to fix it as i would suspect is the case. Either way, i think the fact you've been messed around should be raised with the store manager as I know in the store I was in there would have been some form of compensation offered - be it a new laptop or a free case or something when it comes back from repair.

Store still refusing to give me a replacement or refund. Have quoted the Sale of Goods Act at them, but that did not have any impact. What else can I do? It seems the Sale of Goods Act does not have any teetch.

Store still refusing to give me a replacement or refund. Have quoted the Sale of Goods Act at them, but that did not have any impact. What else can I do? It seems the Sale of Goods Act does not have any teetch.

Did you speak to the manager? You need to talk to someone who has the authority to do something useful - the shop floor staff don't have that authority generally. If you do not get anywhere with the store manager, issue a small claims action.

Go straight to small claims don't waste anytime dealing with the store.

Any place that thinks its ok to deal with their customers this way, is going to keep messing you about.

Nip it in the bud now.

Back