Completing CA24 Form (Inland Revenue Affidavit

Mijne

Hi

I am making a personal probate application for my mother's estate. It should be very simple she had a house and one bank account. I think the form wants to be all things to all men, it mentions milk quotas. I have rung the revenue and the person I spoke to said they make these forms very complicated and could not help me. I then went into the Revenue in O'Connell and the man I spoke to did not know so I would appreciate a little help if anyone knows.

What I am unsure of is, I had a joint bank account with my mother, I am her daughter. Financial Institutions are mentioned in Part 4 Property, number 5, page 6 ( Assets with Financial Institutions) but it states - property disclosed in Part 6 which passes beneficially by survivorship or nomination should not be included in this Part. Should it be put in Part 6 Questionnaire. This mentions monies in joint bank account. The only problem is I have with this is on page 7 you have to total up all her assets and subtract all the debts/bills owing to get the final figure of her estate. You cannot do this on page 10.

Maybe someone else might have had the same problem.

Thanks.

Mijne

"it mentions milk quotas."

Does not apply. Don't answer unless there is a box to tick saying does not apply.

Joint accounts.

If the money was intended to pass beneficially to the other joint owner , it does not form part of the estate and is not taken into account when working out assets, liabilities and nett estate.

If it forms part of the estate deal with it in Part 4.

None of this needs to be to difficult. So long as everything is accounted for.

mf

mf1

Thanks for getting back. My Mum stated in her will that what was left after her funeral expenses etc should be divided between me and my sister. So I should put the account into Part 4.

Do I put the total amount in her bank account in Part 4 or just her half as the account was joint? Also should I mention it was joint?

Many thanks.

Mijne

IANAL

Ad a good rule of thumb every figure you put in the CA24 should have some documentary evidence to support it. Bank statements, invoices, etc. You'll be asked for these at your probate appointment.

So your bank will give you a statement confirming balance as at date of death and thats the figure you use.

Theres a CA25 on the revenue website which explains each item in the CA24 form.

IANAL

Thanks for that. I have receipts, bank statement etc. As the bank account was joint, do I put in the whole amount in the account. Or do I put in half.

Thanks

Mijne

So:

A. All of the money in the joint account is yours - all of it was always meant to go to you - in which case it does not form part of the estate

HELD AS JOINT TENANTS

OR

B. None of the money in the joint account is yours - it was a matter of convenience, the money was always meant to go to your Mum's estate.

OR

C. Half of the money in the joint account is yours
HELD AS TENANTS IN COMMON

Which is it?

And, honestly, if you're struggling with this, it really is way too much for you. You should get advice and pay for it.

Thirsty, you're good at this - would you do a nixer?:D

mf

And, honestly, if you're struggling with this, it really is way too much for you. You should get advice and pay for it.

Exactly what I was thinking reading through the thread.

Pay someone with the expertise and knowledge to do it properly and without worry. It will save you a lot of your own time to do other things.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back