Complete Bathroom Refit

Honda

I am currently looking into doing up my bathroom. It hasn't been done in 20 years. Its in some state to say the least.

The whole place will need to be gutted. I am just wondering what kind of quotes people have got especially in the current climate?

Hi Honda

What size is your bathroom and what do you intend including - just a standard 3 piece?

You cant get a realistic comparison until you know what you are comparing against.

Paddy

The bathroom is quite small. I will measure the square footage later and post it up.

We will be removing the bath and putting a shower unit in. Also replacing the toilet & sink.

The floor & walls will be tiled as well as a new radiator.

We will be removing the bath and putting a shower unit in.

Removing the bath can be great for getting more space but can restrict your market for any future sale.

This previous thread and this one might help. Another here. If you run the search option I'm sure you'll find others.

What type of tiles are you going for?

what type of shower? Will you need to upgrade cylinder? will you need to fit remote pump?

what quality glass doors do you want?

are you going to fit ware from a B&Q special offer or go for a designer label?

Do you want a firm to do complete job or will you hire your trades people independently?

Do you want the people working on your home to be insured and tax compliant?

You might do it for about 5K or thereabouts.

Depends on the spec of your sanitaryware, shower, powershower (!), tiling, substrate upgrading, plumbing etc.

How long is a piece of string?

ONQ.

What type of tiles are you going for?

what type of shower? Will you need to upgrade cylinder? will you need to fit remote pump?

what quality glass doors do you want?

are you going to fit ware from a B&Q special offer or go for a designer label?

Do you want a firm to do complete job or will you hire your trades people independently?

Do you want the people working on your home to be insured and tax compliant?

Definitely want proper insured tradesmen on site. Don't want any cowboys.

Am I better off getting the one company to do the whole lot or get individual tilers, sparks etc?

Its quite a small bathroom (going to measure later as I got stuck in work last night).

Intending to take the bath out and put a shower unit in. There is an electric shower there already but I will probably replace this as well.

Not going to get expensive tiles. I live in Blanchardstown so I am going to go to Coolmine Industrial estate on Sat as there seems to be quite a good few places up there.

My bathroom is being done at the moment and will let you know when its finished but so far am very pleased. One man does the whole job himself. I will let you know the total cost next week but the labour is €3000 including vat. It's about 25 sq m of tiling.

Just an update on this:

I went looking at bathroom show-rooms last Saturday. I got 2 of them out to look at the bathroom and give quotes.

One of them was a joke. They left stuff off the quote and seems to come up with a random figure.

The 2nd place I got seems pretty good and they knew their job. I had things written down like dry lining the wall & moving pipes under the floor boards and he recommended them before I said anything. They quoted €4400 for the following:

- Removal of old bathroom
- Skip
- Strip back bathroom walls and dry line
- Insertion of electric vent
- Tiles walls (26 sq yards)
- Tile floor (4sq yards)
- New Shower Bath
- New Shower Door
- Move pipes under floor boards
- Reduce boxing of pipes
- New Wall Hung WC with wall nut boxing
- New WHB with wall nut unit below for storage
- New walnut storage unit above toilet
- New mirror
- Towel Radiator
- 4 spot lights
- Triton T90 Supplied & Fitted
- 3 yr guarantee

What do you think of this quote?

Sorry for delay. This sounds very reasonable. My quote for €3000 was for all tiling, plumbing and electrical work, stripping out old suite , installing new, fitting PVC ceiling with 6 spotlights, fitting power shower, but did not include bathroom suite, so it depends on how much that costs you. The job is now complete and my guy did a great job - highly recommended. He does everything himself and has been working at installing bathrooms for about 20 years. He is very particular about standards and is very knowledgeable about plumbing etc. I got three recommendations for him and went to see a bathroom he did before hiring him and clients were very happy. If you want his name and number let me know.

In similar position with bathroom 8.6ft x 4.Put my request on [broken link removed] and received several replies. Three came to look at the job. Prices quoted went from €1100 to €1700 labour only. Chadwicks have a great offer at the moment on toilet, wash hand basin including all fittings and a 900mm shower tray and enclosure - about €500 for the lot. Keeping my old T90 shower as its only 4 years old and in pefect working order. Tiles in Right Price Tiles or similar places can be very reasonable at the moment. Ask for a discount - they seem to be very willing to give about 20%. Got a quote for tiles for walls and floor, trims etc., for €550. Hoping to get the whole things finished for about 2,500.
Good luck with your project

Last edited:
If your old bathroom suite is in any kind of reasonable shape don't just throw it in a skip, put it on [broken link removed]. I did that with a bath, toilet and basin (put a picture of each piece and dimensions) and someone took it off my hands for free - saved me the cost of getting a skip for it and he got a free bathroom suite, everybody happy.

Back