"Comparing Bitcoin to Ponzi Schemes is unfair...

Actually, I only dip in and out.

You’ve been incredibly consistent in the dipping in and out there Brendan, dipping in and out over six long years over every single Bitcoin thread. In fact, you started most of them!
The last time I looked the only "use" was speculation and criminal activity. But maybe that has changed since I last looked.
That’s a very conveniently coloured, selective use case memory you have going on there Brendan. I’ll leave you with it.

First of all look at google and you will see that Bitcoin is one of the cryptocurrencies. So Bitcoin is part of crypto and not synonym. So don't manipulate what I wrote before please.
I’m not manipulating what you wrote. Yes, Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency but for many years already (here and elsewhere), many people have been pointing out that you can’t tar all crypto projects with the one brush. I guess you can and you are and I’m merely pointing out that its inaccurate to do so. Carry on if you believe them to be all the same but you’ll forgive me if I return and point out the very same distinction as before ->"crypto" Bitcoin

Second, SBF was mentioned in many finance magazines as a genius of crypto and later your party labeled him as "clown"... You included now... Only now...
Tell me this - which media was it that painted him as wonder-boy? There’s six years of discussion where folks on here say don’t stick up a link to anything unless its from our trusted mainstream news media. Worse still, who was it that tried to soften the narrative immediately post-collapse in order to help him avoid jail time? The very same mainstream news media that y’all love. New York Times and WaPo top of the list but there were many others.

Ok, so I was supposed to know in advance that SBF was putting his hand in the till? Really? And how would I have known that? More importantly, where was your warning? And sorry, just saying its all nonsense with no notion of what’s going on would not make for an actionable call. Ok, let's make it easier for you. You believe in the traditional finance world right? Where was your warning that Madoff was doing what he was doing and had been for how many years exactly? Ditto - re. the Enron fraudsters.

And while I’ve indulged your FTX rabbit hole, I’ll remind you again, what has this got to do with Bitcoin as a decentralized protocol. It doesn’t give a toss. The Bitcoin-only folks felt vindicated by the FTX collapse. To try to tar and feather the Bitcoin protocol on the basis of the FTX collapse makes no sense whatsoever.​

Third, please wait... Wait... And we'll see CZ and Brian Armstrong following the same road... Or a similar one... Just wait please...
Yeah, lets pause here and consider a couple of things. Firstly, when you say the "same road" are you saying that both of these guys have committed fraud and stolen customer money? Secondly, you are aware that these are centralized businesses that provide some of the market plumbing relative to crypto yet they have no control over the Bitcoin protocol? Have there ever been wayward businesses in traditional finance? We've covered some of that already haven't we?...although lets top it off by stating that the stream is constant and ongoing. I couldn't give a toss about either of the two you mentioned. The issues with those businesses can be addressed such that customers are protected OR the powers that be can contrive to create certain outcomes and use that for political gain. Again, failings of the old system.

Bitcoin was invented by an untraceable person behind a fake name not by chance.

Oh, you better believe that was by design (but for different reasons entirely to the ones you're thinking.
Bitcoin has no balance sheet... It's a concept... And every concept gets overcome by a new invention overtime...
Let me think that over...concepts getting overcome by something new and improved? Lets see, Rai stones, gold, fiat....got it! Yes, I agree. And the 'new invention over time' - this is why folks like Brendan, yourself, Duke, etc. can't say when Bitcoin will fail? I have to say, I'm in complete agreement. Maybe I can use cryogenic tech to make sure I'm still here for the moment it gets taken down.

I prefer to invest on physical players and ideas. You prefer to invest on something invisibile...

Ah, so stuff like code...that's invisible so you don't touch anything like that? I mean in fairness we're taking a step back if we're not regarding the Bitcoin whitepaper as an idea. It seems to be accepted by folks in cryptography as a breakthrough in that field.

Bitcoin is the biggest proof of sheep-style investing... But real investing is about jumping from a balance sheet to another is a very subtle and courageous way
Oh, I see. So AI, there hasn't been any illogical investing into that? Dot com? Positioning in Bitcoin has been played out by the entire spectrum. Again, the trap you've fallen into is the assumption that this is 100% speculation with zero substance...and yet, if that was the case, it would have died within its first market iteration.
(always paying CGT in accordance with the law)... Most of the times against the grain... That's why 1% of the people own the biggest slice of the capital in the world... But we're not here to discuss morals.
So everyone on Wall Street is moral and pays their taxes but anyone who takes a position in Bitcoin doesn't? lol

We're here to discuss long term, intelligent and smart alternative ways to invest...
Already addressed. According to what you're saying, if I simply get rid of my Bitcoin portfolio and stick with my stock portfolio, suddenly I become an intelligent investor. The reality is that this is not some sort of choice that people have to make - it's the farthest thing from that. The two items couldn't be more different.
In other words, feel free to stop someone else please, not me
You seem to have taken some sort of offence at me suggesting that we pause and examine something that you wrote and see if it checks out. I'm totally unsure how you've taken offence at that when its precisely the point of a discussion board!

Peak 202156k peak 2024 so far 65k... And so many low valleys in the price-graphs... There can be better investments to my view...

I don't doubt that at some times there are better investments and I'd suggest that it's not an either/or thing in any event. I'm not an investment professional - I'm the farthest thing from that. However, in my amateur understanding of the world, I'd certainly be happier with some exposure to Bitcoin within a mix of investments than not albeit not at any cost. Markets can get ahead of their skis in Bitcoin, stocks, you name it.

I do not appreciate manipulations of what I write........but please without manipulating words written by someone else
See above. I've manipulated nothing. I have expressed a differing opinion.

Last edited:
@tecate I've way better things to do in life than reading your reply based on comments I edited in the meantime before you posted your reply... Take care!

I leave this thread because I think I am being misunderstood... I am writing against bitcoin and cryptos not because I have an alternative investment to propose you... But only because I am worried that certain lovely savers I know in person that have been overfocusing on crypto (to my view!) might lose key money for them...Then if in the long run I am proven wrong I promise you that I will be the first to celebrate the "new rich" of bitcoin & co... No envy rest assured... I have other challenges in life so I wish Bitcoin and people buying bitcoins all the best always! :)

I am worried that certain lovely savers I know in person that have been overfocusing on crypto (to my view!) might lose key money for them...
Fully supportive of that. I don't think anyone should over-focus on Bitcoin (and certainly not crypto) - far from it.

To answer the question, yes Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme. So I'm glad one of us had a winning bet on "I Am Maximus" on Saturday. We know what gambling is.

Hi tecate

What else is it?

Brendan
Boss a Google search gives the following list of uses and that doesn't even count speculation or an even better use being a "great topic for online discussion"
  • Earn Interest on Bitcoin
  • Ticket and Hotels using Bitcoin
  • Cross Border Remittance
  • Bitcoin is the largest financial service in the world
  • Very High Return on Investment when compared with Other Investment Schemes – Store of Value
  • No one can Hack Bitcoin
  • Trace your Bitcoin Transaction in Blockchain
  • Carry or Transfer Bitcoin from One Country to another Country
  • Only 21 Million Total Supply
  • Easily Cash or Convert Bitcoin in any Currency.
  • Bitcoin as Collateral
  • Donation Using Bitcoin

Last edited:
To answer the question, yes Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme. So I'm glad one of us had a winning bet on "I Am Maximus" on Saturday. We know what gambling is.
Strange how the SEC appoved multiple Ponzi ETF's isn't it?

Last edited:
Or use it for blackmail and extortion which is the only real use it has as far as I can see where it has an advantage over other forms of payment.

Brendan
How many years ago was it that you posted your "Bitcoin is a clearly identifiable bubble" thread Brendan?

Do you think that at my age I'd trust any state body or otherwise to override my natural instinct on Bitcoin.
I don't know your age and I don't know you.

If you think bitcoin is a ponzi that's fine, it's just a shame that over the last year or two you've missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Any industry that relies on centralisation and human actors is likely to experience fraudulent behaviour, that is just a fact. It has nothing to do with the underlying assets / technology.

Crypto was just the medium that the SBF/FTX fraud transpired in, the actual fraud was taking customers money. The likelihood of fraud happening in Crypto is higher because the market is less mature and not as regulated.

I watched the full minute and he did not refer to any use other than speculation. OK, a hedge against the fiat currencies collapsing, but that is the same thing.
Complete nonsense you're coming out with Brendan. Firstly, in any given year, fiat currencies ARE collapsing. Secondly, they don't have to collapse entirely to spirit away a portion of what you've earned.

I don't know your age and I don't know you.

If you think bitcoin is a ponzi that's fine, it's just a shame that over the last year or two you've missed the opportunity of a lifetime.
That is hilarious. Something I've never heard ever before.

you've missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Like I missed trackers, the sure thing in the 5:10 in Leopardstown, the guaranteed Eircome shares, the solid as a rock blue chip AIB and BofI shares.

But let me ask you this Jigsaw: Are you a very well off person?

That is hilarious. Something I've never heard ever before.

you've missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

Like I missed trackers, the sure thing in the 5:10 in Leopardstown, the guaranteed Eircome shares, the solid as a rock blue chip AIB and BofI shares.

But let me ask you this Jigsaw: Are you a very well off person?
I'm not exactly sure what's hilarious about making buckets of money.

I'd say your're just another TradFi dinosaur like Brendan who's probably just sick you missed out on bitcoin.

Yes, I've done very well for myself over the last number of years in crypto and I'll make millions more this cycle.

Back