Company Practice Interview

DeirdreM

Do companies invite people for interview just to get practice at interviewing candidates? Recently I have attended an interview where I got the feeling they did not know what they were looking for and after a week I received no follow-up from the companies.

In my experience some candidates have been put in front of me because of who they knew, or because of mistakes in the initial filtering process and they were never going to progress, but interviewing someone for practice, no - not very ethical, or fair on the candidate.

Then of course there's the internal candidates who are interviewed out of politeness...

Sounds like inexperienced interviewers. I was promoted in 1999 and one of my staff went on long term sick leave. My boss asked me to get someone quick. I told him I never interviewed and his repsonse was ah sure you know what you looking for - this was a senior HR manager. I found someone to sit with me who had pleanty of experience - first time was a bit scarey now I don't bat an eye lid and often assist newby interviewers.

I think they should give you some form of feeback though.

Back