Company moving to the UK - being let go or move to London

G7979

My Apologies if this is the wrong forum - I have been informed today that I will be made redundant in March. The Company is closing and relocating to London.
I am just over 2 years with the company 19 months as a contractor, made an employee of the company directly In august of last year.

1 - What are my rights re redundancy? is the full time of service taken into account or just since Aug 2014 (employed since Jan 2013, as a contractor, taken on directly since Aug 2014)

2 - An offer has been made to discuss potential opportunities in London (no specific position, general conversation if I am interested in relocation) what should I be considering? Relocation package, position and salary is obviously key - anything else I need to consider?

What are my rights?

Only fulltime employment from August would be my understanding regarding redundancy so you would not be eligible for any but always open to negotiation with the company to see if they may give you something.

Something to consider - I don't have an answer for it but I would be concerned about it if I were in similar situation...
In relation to the move to London, what happens if after a few months the company decides to let you go \ get rid of the role?

Will you be in a probationary period in the London role?
Will your service in Ireland count towards redundancy?
Will the redundancy be under UK law?
etc

No disrespect intended to AAM users, but I'd be surprised if anyone here would be able to answer questions like that so you might want to consider professional advice if you are seriously considering UK switch.

Something to consider - I don't have an answer for it but I would be concerned about it if I were in similar situation...
In relation to the move to London, what happens if after a few months the company decides to let you go \ get rid of the role?

Will you be in a probationary period in the London role?
Will your service in Ireland count towards redundancy?
Will the redundancy be under UK law?
etc

No disrespect intended to AAM users, but I'd be surprised if anyone here would be able to answer questions like that so you might want to consider professional advice if you are seriously considering UK switch.
I fully expect his service in Irl to be added to new uk service ,the company will ,should he move to London be happy to confirm this.
His (new) employment will come in under Uk redundancy rules.

Not sure where poster lives but London is expensive.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I have decided I am not interested in a move to the UK - I am not getting enough commitment to me from the company to make the move.

With regards to the redundancy I have been given conflicting advice essentially the laws state that an agency/contract worker with 12 months continuous service must be treated as if they were an employee of the company, so yes my terms of service should be considered as a whole, however the section that deals with redundancy only deals with those who have 104 weeks continuous service. With nothing being offered by the company my only option would be to seek an appeal with the Employment tribunal, which frankly could go either way.

At this point I haven't made a final decision but don't think I will go ahead with an appeal, the amount would be relatively small (5 weeks average pay, so about 3 weeks bearing in mind my promotion in April of Last year) and I think it would take too long to be of any use to me. At this point I think I will focus my efforts on finding a new position and put this all behind me.

...however the section that deals with redundancy only deals with those who have 104 weeks continuous service.

Under current legislation, you need 104 weeks of continuous service to be entitled to redundancy.

At this point I think I will focus my efforts on finding a new position and put this all behind me.
Without getting into the rights and wrongs of it that is almost certainly the best thing to do.

Reactions: TTI
Back