Company Director - a question!

Mopsy

My brother who is domiciled in Ireland is one of a couple of Directors of a small company which is up to date with all its accounts etc. and is compliant. He also has a full time job...nothing to do or related to this company.

He is leaving the country (Ireland) for a 1 year, possibly 2 years, to work abroad. He will be returning to his present employment after that soujourn abroad!

He is wondering what his legal obligations are regarding this company? Does he have to report the fact that he will be out of the country to the CRO or will he have to relinquish his position? This directorship does not have any remuneration of any description. He will be flying back to this country a couple of times in the year, in any case.

Anybody in the know? Would appreciate.

My brother who is domiciled in Ireland is one of a couple of Directors of a small company which is up to date with all its accounts etc. and is compliant. He also has a full time job...nothing to do or related to this company.

He is leaving the country (Ireland) for a 1 year, possibly 2 years, to work abroad. He will be returning to his present employment after that soujourn abroad!

He is wondering what his legal obligations are regarding this company? Does he have to report the fact that he will be out of the country to the CRO or will he have to relinquish his position? This directorship does not have any remuneration of any description. He will be flying back to this country a couple of times in the year, in any case.

Anybody in the know? Would appreciate.

I stand to be corrected, but I dont think it will make any difference. The main thing is at least one director is living in EEA Area(mainly EU) See note 16 on B1

Even if leaving in Eu- Put home address where living in eu and mark eea box

If their is a few other director's is their any need for him to continue as a director(still keep his shares)

Only difficulty would be if he was one of directors who normally sign accounts/B1- Be sure he will be around at accounts sign off time as Companies office want orginal sig(Always get him to post from Abroad)

If he is moving from his usual home address it must be noted (new usual residential address) in the company's register of directors and the company must inform the CRO of a change of address of one of its directors on a form B10.

If he has no connection with the company other than being a Director, he is being very,very shortsighted. If anything untoward ever happend and there is a come back on the Company , he is jointly responsible. It is NO excuse that he is only a "shadow" Director. Paul Appleby's office make no distinction what so ever. He should use the fact that he is going abroad as an excuse to officially resign as a Director and have the form lodged in the CRO.

Secman

Back