Company Car - Expenses rate per KM

Carter76

I drive a company car, and although haven't been doing as much mileage over the last 2 years, it will be ramping up again now. For business mileage I can claim expenses, which the company has set at 13c per KM - I pay for all fuel and previously this rate would be fair and generally reimbursed what I paid.

I can't find any detail on the revenue site or elsewhere whether this is a revenue rate (civil service rates are generally applicable for business use of private car from what I can see). However, in the UK the HMRC review this scenario each quarter and publish Advisory Rates for company car users who pay for fuel - From March 1st their rate for similar vehicle to mine (Diesel 1.6 - 2l) would be 13 pence (roughly 16c) for example. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advisory-fuel-rates

Is there a similar set of rates applicable for Ireland anywhere? With fuel prices rising, the 13c may not cover the costs like it did before!

Thanks folks. Any guidance would be useful before talking to my employer.

Do you pay for repairs and servicing as well, or is it just fuel?

If just fuel, then work out exactly how much it is costing per mile- ( presumably it's a fairly new car, so should have accurate MPG or L/100km figures) and claim that amount.

If you also pay for servicing, tyres etc., then you need to factor those costs in to your claim per mile.

As an aside, I've never come across someone with a company car having to pay for fuel. Sometimes the company will claim back fuel used for personal use, but not the other way around.

Thanks callybags. Yes - it's just fuel. Company pays for servicing, tyres, etc.

They use a software package for claiming expenses, so the journey is entered, mileage automatically calculated (via google maps or similar) and the company rate applied, so if I do a 100km journey it will calculate my expenses as €13 (based on the current 13c per km rate). You're right in that the car will advise the L/100km figure, but I don't have the option to amend unfortunately.

Ideally, if there was a similar advisory rate here like there is in the UK it would make it much easier, as the UK rate has crept up over the last 12-18 months to reflect higher fuel rates.

Appreciate your response.

Why would you be claiming mileage on a company car?

The point of mileage is to compensate the car owner for wear and tear on his or her own car.

Hence the civil service mileage rates etc.

I’ve never heard of someone with a company car claiming mileage or having to work out fuel costs.

When I had company cars they formed part of my payments package as I didn't need to drive as part of my day-to-day work. If I used my company car for business travel, I too was paid a Revenue approved mileage rate for the fuel used. All other car-related expenses were paid by my employers, motor tax, insurance, tyres, servicing, and an annual fuel allocation, all taxed at prevailing BIK rates.

"Why would you be claiming mileage on a company car?"

Perhaps Mileage isn't the correct term. It is more of reimbursement for the cost of fuel incurred for doing business miles. I pay for all fuel and can claim back an amount for business journeys at a rate of 13c per KM. It mightn't be the normal way it is done, but for me it is how my employer does it.

The BIK is as normal also as you outline mathepac, as all other expenses of running the car are paid by the company.

I was just curious was I missing something, as HMRC go to the trouble of publishing their Advisory rates for this exact scenario in the UK, but I have never been able to find anything similar in Ireland.

Usually you just Pay for Private mileage and your company pays for work mileage Fuel, repairs, insurance etc. you pay the BIK.

Mileage is claimed when using your personal
Car and is usually set at the civil service rate.

13c seems about right for current pricing.

Diesel is almost €1.90/l in the UK (£1.57), so should be higher.

Assuming 45 mpg which is about 16km/l, then at 13c you are getting about €2.08 per litre.

Back