commute gorey to dublin

Debbie

Hi
Just wondering has anyone any info or experience of commuting from Gorey to Dublin on a daily basis by car train or bus.
Also does anyone know if the new Gorey by pass will cut much time off the journey? Thanks.

What part of DUblin

I commute to Arklow to tallaght by car.

More often that not it was just over an hour.
Leaving at about 7.30
Traffic gets busy at kilmacanogue till past the cherrywood exit because of Bray traffic.

M50 genrally got busy from around the firhouse exit.

Although the was always the option of going up by kilternan.

Should take you 1.30 to 2 hours each way by car from gorey.

The new gorey bypass should take pressure off the town as well soon.

The traffic generally gets a bit better for the summer as well.

The train service in the morning is quite good. In Dublin it stops at Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, Lansdowne and the city centre locations.

The last train in the evening is quite early though, around 6 ish depending on where you get on.

If you're leaving early and getting into Dublin for 8 rather than 9, traffic isn't too bad.

It depends on what part of Dublin you are heading for. Gorey to the Beacon exit on the M50 takes an hour if you can get through Kilmac before about 7.30ish. If you are heading into the city centre (i.e. anywhere further than UCD) then forget about it. It can take 30 minutes to get from UCD to Donnybrook and the same again to Leeson Street. If you work in south Dublin (Blackrock area) then Gorey is not a bad commute compared to other long distance ones e.g. Carlow (my own commute!) I work near UCD and lots of my colleagues commute from Gorey with no problems.

Thanks a million to you all for the information. Its a great help! The part of Dublin I am talking about commuting to is Finglas by the way, so it's not too far in from the toll.

Debbie, Just my opinion but you would want to be off your trolly to take on that commute on a daily basis! Why dont you rent down there for a couple of weeks to see exactly what it is like. Best of luck though what ever your decision.

I agree...it's a long commute, esp for Finglas. Why don't you take a day off, get to Gorey for 7am and drive to Finglas to see what it's like? Have you factored in the travel costs...petrol, changing/servicing car more often etc..

I do Tallaght bypass to Gorey in 1 hour, buts thats early on Sat morning, with very little traffic. I imagine a midweek morning to be a different animal all together ! . I would say allow 90 ish min to Sandyford slip road, but to get to Finglas could be another 50 min. I wouldn't fancy it myself. I had to go down one evening in rush hour, only as far as The Beehive , which is approx half way and it took the guts of an hour.

Good luck

Secman

Thanks a million to you all for the information. Its a great help! The part of Dublin I am talking about commuting to is Finglas by the way, so it's not too far in from the toll.

Insane!!

Put a value on the hours spent in the car ( your leisure and R&R time should be valued way higher than your work time)
This could easily take 4 hrs a day; thats 20 per week; a whole day a week!
2 long working days!

Wear and tear and loads on fuel for a journey like that, 2 tolls a day.....

Thanks again to you all for your comments. Was hoping to hear from someone who actually does the commute on a regular basis to see if its feasible. I heard a lot of people commute from gorey to dublin but have never actually talked to anyone who does it.

I will try it out in rush hour on a monday morning and see what i think! Hoping the new bypass will make even a wee bit of a difference.

I think you'll find that anyone who does a commute from Gorey to "Dublin" is in fact commuting to a south-side location (or at the least the south side of the M50).

The last couple of miles to get you to Finglas would I imagine be an absolute killer. You don't have the option of doing this last bit early, unless you want to leave at 5:00 a.m., which doesn't help in the evening.

Train/bus is little better: again, I'd say that anyone commuting by train is close to one of the stations on the main line, certainly not a lengthy bus ride away.

Try it out by all means, but my guess is that it'll just be too much.

I work in Cabinteely, and 2 people working with me commute from Gorey every day. I think even they find it to be a long commute - they have recently changed to shift work which makes it a bit easier.

It takes them about an hour at the moment - they would be leaving Gorey around 5.45am or at 1.00pm. It would have taken a bit longer to get in at rush hour (maybe 15 minutes), but getting home in the evenings would be at least an extra 30-45 minutes.

Bear in mind that the intersection of the M50 and N11 is VERY slow in the evenings on the way home

If you get to the M50 by 7.10am you will be ok in the morning but if you intend getting to Finglas for 9.00am you will need to allow 2 hours.
If you leave after 7 in the evening you will make it to Gorey in about 1.5 hours.
You will be covering about 1000Km a week!

I agree with monkeyboy; it's a crazy idea, you will have no quality of life and will spend 4 hours or more in the car each day. You will be knackered getting to work in the morning and like a zombie when you get home in the evening.

Hi.. I'm in a similar predicament. I will be commuting from Gorey to Ranelagh.. I start work at 8 so was wondering how long it might take for me?

I think I will probably drive to Sandyford & get the Louis to Ranelagh

[FONT=&quot]Anyone knowhow long it would take to drive to Sandyford at this time[/FONT]

Hi.. I'm in a similar predicament. I will be commuting from Gorey to Ranelagh.. I start work at 8 so was wondering how long it might take for me?

I think I will probably drive to Sandyford & get the Louis to Ranelagh

[FONT=&quot]Anyone knowhow long it would take to drive to Sandyford at this time[/FONT]
Good idea to take the LUAS. I would post asking what time the park and ride fills up at if I was you.
I would leave at 6.15 the first morning and see how you get on.

Can I just say I would REALLY REALLY reititerate what Monkeyboy & others have said.

I had to commute last year from Santry to Ballyfermot daily.
Now I will admit I was not used to commuting at all!
I was getting 2 busses so it so was taking 1-1.5 hours each way.

You have NO IDEA what difference that makes to your life.
You have less time in the mornings, in the evenings, very little midweek social life. your life is all revolved about getting to and from work - believe me that isn't fun!!

I felt constantly anxious and since then I have moved house and job.

I would urge you to think strong and hard about your quality of life!!
what good is it having a big mansion if you are never in it, or are too tired to appreciate it??
These days since moving house & job, I am home and out in the garden by 6 in the evening, and don't leave my house until after 8 in the morning. I am still getting used to all this extra time back on my hands and feel so much happier.:)

I have friends in Gorey, he occasionally commutes to Blanch. He did it 2 weeks and it killed him. They are "behind" gorey a coupe of miles from Inch.

Another couple worki in cabinteely and Sandyford they seem relatively happy but rack up serious mileage on the cars, Finglas is a WHOLE other ball game though.

Oh yeah, you become a 2 car family also, without choice! people rarely tote up the extra 10k a year odd a 2nd car costs when they are deciding that they need to save 50k on their choice of home!

My GF works near to home and we got rid of the 2nd car nearly 2 years ago, so much spare cash now!

Thanks everyone. Really grateful for the input.

Taking on board all the comments. There really is a lot to weigh up. Think I will go back to the drawing board for a while!

Don't do it! Life is too short for this kind of misery on a daily basis.

I don't know your reasons for choosing Gorey (nice town and all that it is), but the current slow market gives you several better options.

Unless you have strong family ties to Wexford, better by far to commute from the northern side -- Louth/Meath -- to Finglas. New road to Ashbourne makes it easy, and plenty of choice in Ashbourne, Duleek, Drogheda etc.

Back