Commute from Wicklow to Connolly

ledzep4

Hi,

We are thinking of buying in Wicklow. What concerns me is the commute from Wicklow to Connolly station.
The question really is how far down is doable over a long period?

Thanks

I used to commute from Portlaoise to Dublin for 3 years. I had an understanding boss, flexi time and a decent train service, still found it very wearisome. I was adding the guts of 3 hours to my working day.

You could drive to Greystones to avail of a much more frequent service which should if you had to work late as the service to Wicklow isn't that frequent.

If your employer is involved with the Taxsaver scheme you will save your Tax on your annual ticket, the difference between Wicklow and Greystones (or Kilcoole as the DART/Commuter ticket goes as far as there) is €760!

www.taxsaver.ie

Remember also to factor in your time from/to Connolly to your workplace as this can add a significant bit of time and obviously the time to/from Greystones if you use it or Wicklow town train station.

Bus Éireann might also be another option.

Thanks for that.

We would love to live somewhere like Ashford which would mean 30-40 minute drive and then an hour train journey.
Thagt seems too long but Kilcoole/Kilpedder or even Newtownmountkennedy may be an option......
Just wondering of there are people who do that it

Used to do the commute from Wicklow Town (from their originally). Service itself always plays second fiddle to darts, so you are looking at 1 hour 20 minutes there or there abouts up and then same back. Problem is, you are at the lap of the leaves, takes little to cause a delay and then you could be racing to work. Bus service form Wicklow is very good, but again you are looking at hour and half into town.

In saying that, I love the town and their is a great community down there with a lot happening.

Second what Dereko1969 says, Taxsaver ticket is a must if available through employer. The problem with the difference in Greystone and Wicklow is you will spend a lot more on a house in Greystones.

Kilmacanogue has the 145 Dublin Bus Service from it and the 133 Wicklow bus (which goes to airport), and stunning views in the surrounding area. Asford is a lovely little village, but you are not far from Wicklow so the difference in time saving is minimal.

Alternatively, you could drive up and get the luas in daily.

Many thanks for your response.

If I had to work late the best thing to do would be to drive up to a dart station (Greystones) or Luas station and go from there. Is the traffic heavy? According to googlemaps, it is roughly a 30 minute drive from Ashford to Greystones.

You can get Wexford Bus on taxsaver now which is another option. Apparently tales 90 minutes from/to Gorey morning and evening.

Disclaimer: I am going on the word of a fellow employee.

Back