Communion outfit

DeeFox

Did anyone see the photo of the eight year old girl on her way to her Communion in The Examiner on Saturday? I, and my family, were really shocked by it. She was being taken to the church in a horse drawn glass carriage. She was wearing a pink outfit - pink mini skirt, belly exposed and a small pink top. Fake tan, high heels, manicure, tiara and a full face of make up completed the look. What on earth were her parents thinking??!!

I didn't see the photo, but even the traditional mini-bridal dresses give me the creeps! A horse-drawn carriage...wow.

I didnt see it - is there a link to it online anywhere.

It sounds horrendous. Overly sexualising a child of that of that age with midriff exposed, high heels, make up etc is going to cause problems later.

It sounds like those awful kids beauty pageants in America. I think the schools and church are going to have to start intervening in what children can wear to their first Communion. Its supposed to be a religious ceremony after all.

Saw it... It was a Confirmation rather than a communion.

Bishop Buckley who administered the confirmation rites to the youngster had his picture taken with the girl at the carriage and he mentioned the carriage in his sermon remarking how much time and effort had been put into the preparation of the children.

I'm not very computer savvy and don't know how to do a link (and can't seem to find it on the Examiner website), but I think it was on page 3 - so apologies!
I agree that the schools should lay down guidelines of some sort - perhaps all students be obliged to wear the school uniform on the day? This would help with the unnecessary expense of it too.
Surely the priest, teachers and other parents on the day must have been really shocked to see the outfit on this girl? I think it is really sad that her parents thought she looked nice dressed in this manner. A communion should have a sense of innocence about it but I bet the main talking point at this particular event was the way this girl showed up and how inappropriately she was dressed.

So was it a Communion or Confirmation? Totally unappropriate outfit for either, but girls making communion are usually 7/8 as opposed to 12/13 making confirmation. Communions are usually May as well, so more likely confirmation.

If her photo was taken with the Bishop, it sounds more like a Confirmation. Still highly inappropriate gear for a child in primary school and for a religious ceremony.

The Irish Dancing Competitions are just as bad!
I disagree - its the sexualising of young girls with adult style clothes and make up that I think is the issue - I have no problem with young girls wearing an Irish dancing costume that covers all their bits and wearing the equilavent of stage make-up with their hair made curly with ribbons - but a child wearing heels, midriff exposed, bouffant hair and adult style make up is just not on.

We all had to wear very simple robes for our communion so that everyone would look the same and pay a standard amount. My school organised the making of them and made them available for a very small fee (we didn't have school uniforms).

perhaps all students be obliged to wear the school uniform on the day?

Forcing all children to wear uniforms because of the poor judgment of a minority of parents is not the answer.

Forcing all children to wear uniforms because of the poor judgment of a minority of parents is not the answer.

Many schools already do this, it prevents any embarrassment for people who dont have the money to 'keep up with the Jones'. There is nothing stopping the child from changing into a fancy outfit to go extort money off the relations in after the church piece.

I disagree - its the sexualising of young girls with adult style clothes and make up that I think is the issue - I have no problem with young girls wearing an Irish dancing costume that covers all their bits and wearing the equilavent of stage make-up with their hair made curly with ribbons - but a child wearing heels, midriff exposed, bouffant hair and adult style make up is just not on.

I disagree. The same subtle sexualisation exists in the Irish Dancing industry (sun-bed sessions, fake tans, wigs, make-up, etc., etc.)

Many schools already do this, it prevents any embarrassment for people who dont have the money to 'keep up with the Jones'. There is nothing stopping the child from changing into a fancy outfit to go extort money off the relations in after the church piece.

I'm aware of that, but as a solution to the story being discussed it's overkill.

A family friend is a teacher in a school South of the Liffey - she told us that last year for the communion a little girl walked up to the priest to receive communion and as she put it into her mouth, her dress lit up. Her dad had a remote control - priest didn't know what had happened and it took a while to register.

A family friend is a teacher in a school South of the Liffey - she told us that last year for the communion a little girl walked up to the priest to receive communion and as she put it into her mouth, her dress lit up. Her dad had a remote control - priest didn't know what had happened and it took a while to register.

There was a full debate about that on Liveline last year. Maybe Liveline will discuse the horse drawn glass carriage.

I disagree. The same subtle sexualisation exists in the Irish Dancing industry (sun-bed sessions, fake tans, wigs, make-up, etc., etc.)

Well then I apologise, my idea of Irish Dancing is shiny faced young girls with curly hair and ribbons in rather old fashioned outfits - if there is sun beds, fake tans, wigs and make up going on then it is much the same.

Back