Comeback on "substandard" upholstery

onekeano

I've had a 3 piece suite for 7-8 years which was particularly comfortable and unfortunately about about 9 months ago Mrs Keano decreed that it was time to get a new look. She contacted an upholsterer who had been recommended and he kindly offered to recover it for €1700.

After we got it back we were very pleased - it looked great. About 3 months later I noticed that it appeared to be showing signs of wear & tear which to be honest shocked me after such little time - there are just 2 of us so not kids / dogs jumping all over it.

I contacted the upholsterer who was cautious and eventually said "right, I'll get someone to pick up the cushion and bring to supplier and drop you a replacement." His assistant came to the house and spent less than 1 minute here - entered into zero discussion on the matter. A couple of months later I contacted the upholsterer to ask what the story was about the supplier - he told me the number of the supplier and told me to contact them myself.

I told him my contact was with him and not his supplier - about a month later he sent me report from the supplier which basically said this was normal with the material (Chenille). In early January I sent him a mail saying this was unsatisfactory and I wanted to know what he was going to do - no response to date>

I'm wondering a) where can I get material test for degradation and b) what comeback I have eg. Small Claims court?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Roy

No idea about getting a test done, but if it's visibly deteriorated significantly in that short a time frame, the Small Claims Court would be a good route to take.

Back