Combining Irish and UK contributions

Tourig

I have a total of 275 paid contributions in Ireland which doesn't qualify me for an Irish state pension. I also have nearly 31 years of UK national insurance contributions.
I believe I can combine both sets of contributions to get the Irish pension.
Does anyone know if voluntary additional UK contributions are treated the same as contributions made when I was working when calculating the Irish state pension entitlement ?

Thanks

Does anyone know if voluntary additional UK contributions are treated the same as contributions made when I was working when calculating the Irish state pension entitlement ?
You can only use "reckonable" contributions in the UK to top up the Irish state pension and voluntary contributions aren't reckonable. You would have about 36 years reckonable contributions between UK and Ireland so would qualify for something close to a full Irish state pension contributory.

The only reason to make UK voluntary NICs would be if you wanted to get to 35 years and claim the UK state pension (and therefore claim nothing in Ireland). But as the Irish SPC is a higher amount (and is paid younger) I don't think that's a good option for you.

Thanks. Thought the voluntary NICs might not count, but couldn't find anything about it on the DSP site.

Back