Colour blindness effect on job prospects?

terrysgirl33

Has anyone any experience of having difficulty finding work because or colour blindness? I know someone who is having trouble. He's a good artist, but colour blindness is a drawback! He worked in graphic design for years, then ended up unemployed for a while. For personal reasons he has to find work, but he's having a lot of trouble. He can't get work in art and any lower job seems to need colour recognition. Labouring is out, and even working in McDs means you need to be able to see the colours in the company manual. I don't know if there is some way around this or what, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has dealt with this problem?

As an employer in an office it's not a question I ever even considered asking and I doubt if it is covered in any pre-employment medical screening for many jobs. Perhaps try getting the person to contact the NCBI as a starting point. They will advise people with any eye issues, not just eye sight loss

I know army Sargent, colour blind, only limitation is he cant drive army vehicles.

Any job involving use of a computer terminal should be ok... modern websites are built with 'accessibility' in mind, and colour blind users are considered in setting the standards for accessibility.

As an employer in an office it's not a question I ever even considered asking and I doubt if it is covered in any pre-employment medical screening for many jobs. Perhaps try getting the person to contact the NCBI as a starting point. They will advise people with any eye issues, not just eye sight loss
It's a requirement that anyone seeking an apprenticeship where wiring is involved (electrician, toolmaker etc.) is not colour blind.

Telecomms Engineers cant be colourblind,due to so many types of cable they have to work with and especially with 1000 pair multicore cables and fibre splicing.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like he needs to do a bit of lateral thinking about jobs and career prospects.

I always fail the test when they put those cards up with dots on. I failed a mechanical job working on the maintenance of diesel electric locomotives, I asked them if they had coloured nuts and bolts. I have done technical and electrical work all of my life without a problem, colour blind is an incorrect term, I am colour deficient, I cannot see pale pinks and greens, I can see cable colours and traffic lights as far away as anyone else etc.
There is a high percentage of people with colour deficiency, and employers seem to go over the top with this.
I almost failed a job as an engineer on a ship, the medical failed me from those charts with dots but the personnel manager held 3 coloured pens up and asked me the colours which I had no problem with.

Im similar to Roker above, had issues with electronics job interview/medical a few years ago. I now work in IT without issue.

Back