co ownership agreement

mave

need your advice got draft in the door the other day for co ownership agreement on a new house me and b/f are buying with the price 380 plus VAT is this normal i heard there between 80 and 100 euro i was shocked at the prive we were quoted??

How complicated is the Co-ownership Agreement and is the same solicitor acting for the purchase of the property? Perhaps try and bargin them down. It is impossible to say if it's a lot without knowing the complexity of the agreement and how long it took to draft.

its noy complecated at all basic if we split 50 50 she is the same one we are using to buy the house think its ridiculus price. heard we can draw up our own co ownership and get somone to witness it is that true ???

You can, of course, draw up any agreement you want and sign it/have it witnessed - but be aware of the potential pitfalls if you miss anything or incorrectly record something. The BBC website did a pretty good article on co-ownership agreements a fair while back and linked to this website (UK based, but probably relevant).

Personally, I don't think that price you quoted is that high, but maybe that's just me.

the price quoted is reasonable on the basis that the agreement is staightforward. No doubt if some relevant clause was left out of the agreement you would be the first person knocking on the Solicitor's door. Such agreements are not entirely normal and have to be adapted to any given set of circumstances.

If the Solicitor knows what (s)/he is doing and does the job properly I think the price quoted is very reasonable. There would imo be at least 2/3 billable hours work (taking instructions, preparing draft agreement and properly explaining it to you). If the Solicitor is just running off a precedent after slotting in your respective names and addresses and property description, and sending it to you with invoice for reading and signature, then I don't think you have got a great service and should bargain hard for discount. You will be able to ascertain how much work the solicitor has put in by enquiring how much the draft has been modified, and you will already know the amount of time Solicitor has taken to get details from you and discuss various scenarios.

Hi Mave,

I charge €300 for a co-ownership agreement and most clients seem fine with that. Don't forget there's nothing to stop you calling other solicitors to see if you can get a better deal. Call around your local area and ask for a quote. Personally, I wouldn't do it for less but you might find some who will!

Good luck,

Kate.

I'd be far more worried about what is in the agreement than the price you've been quoted, I can't see any solicitor doing any paperwork for 80 Euro, you can hardly get a repairman for that to just turn up and look at a broken down machine.

I'd be far more worried about what is in the agreement than the price you've been quoted, I can't see any solicitor doing any paperwork for 80 Euro, you can hardly get a repairman for that to just turn up and look at a broken down machine.

Which begs the question(s), and I am assuming that we define "machine" as a "white good" and further define white good as a washing machine (front or top loading), clothes dryer (or a combination of both); dishwasher; cooker (electric or gas operated); or other like device.

1. Is , in OP's mind,the value of a Solicitor drawing up this co ownership agreement the same as the value attached to the callout charge to look at and possibly repair a broken down machine?

2. If the answer to 1 is in the affirmative and in OP's view the answer would appear to be such (unless the repair man should be charging far less than €80.00) then:

continued!

3. Should a Solicitor's charge for drawing up a co ownership agreement be the same as or indeed less than a machine (as defined) repairer's callout charge?

ceteris paribus (naturally)

Back