Clutch problems, do i need a new one?

michelle789

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. over the past two weeks or so im finding it sometimes very hard to put the car into 1st and 2nd gear. like this afternoon i had reversed out from a car parking space and it took me 6 attemps to get into 1st gear :eek: the car is a 07 peugeot 407 had it from new milege is nearly 50.000km.

getting into 3rd,4th,5th gear and reverse is no problem at all. i do alot of town driving aswell as motorway mainly town.

also when i can home now i noticed the fan was louder that normal..in the407 the fan seems to stay on a while once the car is turned of but it was louder than normal i could actually still here it when i closed the front door.

Any idea's appreciated? anyone know how much a new clutch is?

I thought that the sign of a clutch going was when you put your foot down the engine revs but the power doesn't kick in. Dangerous when you go to overtake, etc..

Would that maybe be a problem with the gearbox itself?!

How did you come up with your alias Smashbox?!!! Sounds like a gearbox problem to me too. If its a 07, then presumably its still under warranty, even if it isn't I'd be surprised if Peugeot wouldn't cover at least part of the cost.

I thought that the sign of a clutch going was when you put your foot down the engine revs but the power doesn't kick in. Dangerous when you go to overtake, etc..

Hi tyrekicker, i havent a clue what the signs are!! all i know is im scared to even drive the car now in case i cant get into gear!! :(

Would that maybe be a problem with the gearbox itself?!

Hi smashbox, i havent a clue car was fine up until recently no problem what so ever.

i thought maybe it was the cold but i dont know :( id just like to have a idea before i bring it to a dealer because i dont have the money really :(

Sounds like it could be issues with the gear(box) linkage-sounds very like an issue I had with 4th and gear.

Take it to a dealer/garage and let them diagnose the issue-I insisted it was the clutch, clutch was replaced at considerable cost, and turned out it was a minor problem....

If it is an issue with the gearbox, it will depend on the likely cause I guess as to whether or not it is covered by warranty (mechanical fault v. abuse). A new clutch is probably around a few hundred euro, but replacing a clutch is fairly labour intensive, you could be looking at something like €1000 all in (if not covered by warranty). In general, I wouldn't expect a clutch to fail on a 2 year old car with 50,000 odd km unless it was 'driven hard'

have rang dealer and they can look at it on saturday for me.

god i hope it is just something minor wrong with it 1,000 alot of money!!!

Just make sure the clutch/brake fluid reservoir is topped up to the proper level.
I had exactly the same problem before christmas and after convincing myself it was the clutch I did a quick check under the bonnet and discovered the fluid level was down below normal , I topped it up and it has been fine since.

Don't let them tell you its down to abuse so they can charge you for it, if they try this just tell them you'll get a second opinion before you do anything with it.

Don't let them tell you its down to abuse so they can charge you for it, if they try this just tell them you'll get a second opinion before you do anything with it.

ok will do id its gonna be dear def wont be able to afford it for a while anyway!

You'd have problems getting the car into reverse if the fluid level was low, also the brakes would be affected.

hi iggy,

what should the fluid level thing look like? i only know where the window washer is
It`ll be a smallish plastic bottle affair usually just in front of the bulkhead (under where the windscreen is)...any motor factor or decent garage guy should show you...in fact not wanting to appear sexist but most guys will know where it is and would check for you.

You'd have problems getting the car into reverse if the fluid level was low, also the brakes would be affected.
Brakes would only be affected if the level was right down...it supplies fluid to the brake circuit first and second priority is given to the clutch circuit for safety.

Back