Clothes Shopping in Norn Iron

MissRibena

Hi all

MrRibena and myself flew from Belfast airport earlier this year and had to drive via Dublin (which would be usually out of our way), so saw some of the shopping places in Newry etc. that we hear so much about. We were impressed - our nearest NI town is Enniskillen but last time we were there there didn't seem to be half as many clothes shops as in Newry, Lisburn etc.

Now we are in bad need of a clothes shopping spree and thought it might be time to give NI a whirl. Is Newry the best without going the whole way to Belfast? We are not label people and are looking for casual and office wear in the Next/Dorothy Perkins price range. Are there particular shopping centres that might be more up our alley?

Rebecca

I'd recommend going up a wee bit further to the Banbridge/Bridgewater Centre exit on the motorway and checking "The Outlet" out. It's got a good range of clothing stores, good value and lovely clean toilets!!

You mentioned Next & D.Perkins? Both in Newry.

Although you said you are not label people, Debenhams (also in Newry) offer a good selection of low priced "designer" items - well worth a visit IMO.

I have just returned from Enniskillen today - there is a next and a monsoon in the Erneside shopping centre - and Marks and Spencer is supposed due to open shortly. On the high street there's Houstons which houses - top shop,Wallis, Principles etc.

I have only heard glowing reports about the new victoria square centre in Belfast ... go while the weather is fine :)

Thanks everyone!

Newry is about 3 hours from us so we have now cooked up an excursion based on staying a night somewhere around Slane/Navan, so we can shop one day and do a bit of heritage stuff the next to balance out the consumerism and assuage our guilt at shopping abroad in these times of recession ;). We are both pretty much shop-a-phobes, hence the lack of imagination with our shops and the desperate need for a wardrobe replenishment mission.

Was Banbridge the place where I saw Matalan, I wonder? Maybe that's where the non-iron clothes are! I wish I had paid more attention now...

Thanks again
Rebecca

There isn't a Matalan in The Outlet in Banbridge but if you do find one be aware that you have to be a member. They'll want you to sign up and give them an address - nothing more than that afaik but just be aware of it. It's some sort of a "club".

See for info on what shops are in Banbridge.

Debenhams in Newry would definitely be worth a trip as their clothes and handbags usually work out a lot cheaper in sterling.

Thanks everyone!
Was Banbridge the place where I saw Matalan, I wonder?

if you remember or find out where Matalan is please let me know ;)

I find Newry good for shopping - was in Enniskillen a few weeks ago & wouldn't recommend it for clothes shopping at all.... The Outlet's pretty good too - went up before Christmas last year & it was good.... I'd imaging Lisburn's probably better still & it's not all that far from Newry - you could always spend the night in Belfast & try the heritage stuff there & have a look in Newry & Lisburn :D

I checked it out and it would appear that there are 2 Matalans in Portadown/Craigavon, which we would have gone through on the way home on our 'normal' route, so it must have been there I saw it. The Rushmere shopping centre looks pretty good too with Debenhams, TKMax, Next, etc. Think a minor change of plan is called for.

Bit off a bump,did you head up yet shopping?

Is the outlet worth the spin up from dublin?Are there good bargains on clothes to be had?Any specific days that your better off heading up to avoid the crowds?

I live in NI and usually shop in the next/dorothy perkin/wallis price range.

1.outlet in banbridge is crap...in my opinion. did n't recognise many labels and any I did was just crap stuff. if you want to take something back say to principals you have to go back to the outlet (normal store won't take it back).
2. victoria center in belfast is good.....bit pricy though. castle court is quite good with a range of shops...gap/debenhams/tk max etc. boutcher retail park has tk max, matalan, dot perkins.
3. rushmere in craigavon is good...decent debenhamns there
5. i like lisburn for shopping....small enough that you can walk to all shops and sprucefield (M&S for clothes) a short drive away.
4.you don't need to be a member to shop in Matalan...you can sign up to get emails etc. if you want.
newry is too far away for me so no opinion on it..

Janeom

Back