Climbing plant for wall

Mel

I want to disguise an ugly west-facing wall, approximately 8 feet high. Would like to do this with climing plants, maybe using a trellis for support.
Can anyone recommend a good plant that will grow quickly, cover well without growing too far out from the wall, and preferably stays green all year?

Yes, I did think of that, but it's a wall just outside my back garden in a shared access - I'm not sure I'd like to put ivy there in case someone else wanted to remove it in the future, ivy can be hard to get rid of.
Bamboo probably wouldn't work, I forgot to add, I'll need to plant in containers as there isn't any soil.

It's used only by me and my neighbour. Only planting the bit I have to look at.

Clematis - grows v quickly and would like west-facing (I think!) and can be gorgeous (get a long-flowering one). Any of the jasmines would also be nice. Neither would be difficult to remove if you needed to.

Ivy can be easy to remove from a wall. Just cut a complete gap on the main trunk of the plant, just above ground level and leave for a week. The plant will wither away and will be very easy to move. But I did see a beautiful white Montana clematis in the garden centre earlier in the year, I would recommend that also.

Get a varigated ivy. It is evergreen and has a lot of gold which is very bright on a winter's day. Other plants like clematis involve some pruning yearly , with ivy all you need to do is to cut back some outward growth every few years or so. I have used it to great effect to cover concrete walls and the birds love it.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'm going to go for a China Fleece Vine, or a winter jasmine as they'll flower later in the year when the rest of the garden is looking a bit miserable.
I have ivy in tubs etc, I just couldn't face it on the wall - I know I'd only think of removing it every time I looked at it - sad I know :)

Would you consider climbing hydrangeas? You could plant them along with your other choice and they are self-clinging. I have one that I'm waiting to see what the flowers look like and might put some more down if I like them. They do well in shade as well. Everything, including ivy, needs a bit of pruning, but the hydrangea I have seems to be not too troublesome. By the way, winter jasmine is not self clinging and it's nice but the flowers are tiny.

Back