Clients owing Money

Just to give progress report on my problem, found an old email with the finance womans direct line on it :) called a few times today kept going to voicemail, but just got through to her, she was shocked that I got her. She said I'd get a cheque out by next week! We'll see how it goes!

OK Shep - she's had a week. Write today informing them that as previous requests for payment have been ignored, unless full payment is received within 7 days - you will be issuing legal proceedings for all monies due , together with stsutory interest and costs. Put the following on the top of your letter -

NOTICE BEFORE LEGAL ACTION

You can go to your local court and issue proceedings by completing a simple form for a small fee (c. €20 ).

Many of these 'customers' think they are being smart by delaying payment until the last possible moment. A no-nonsence 'final notice' will often bring them to their senses.

If they do pay - please do not be so stupid as to give them credit again.

"Fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me"

Good luck with it

Cheers
Dicey

Solicitors letter works 9 times out of 10....weekly or monthly interest will not stand in court. Sue through circuit court after a series of three solicitor letters which progressively change in tone...process is not that long and if right you will get costs...These should be fairly minimal anyway as it's a standard case.

Just a quick question to add to this. If i am waiting for payment for a month now and if i send a reminder without response can i legally take the product back from the client if i have access to it.??

Thanks...

well let say it's additions to there website... and i have access cos i administer it.... can i remove the additions ??

Just a quick question to add to this. If i am waiting for payment for a month now and if i send a reminder without response can i legally take the product back from the client if i have access to it.??
Many invoices for goods have a standard clause stating that goods remain the property of the seller until paid. This covers the situation where the buyer goes into liquidation or recievership before payment is made.

I'm not sure if you can put a similar clause in when invoicing for services?

Write today informing them that as previous requests for payment have been ignored, unless full payment is received within 7 days - you will be issuing legal proceedings for all monies due , together with stsutory interest and costs. Put the following on the top of your letter -

NOTICE BEFORE LEGAL ACTION

You can go to your local court and issue proceedings by completing a simple form for a small fee (c. €20 ).

Many of these 'customers' think they are being smart by delaying payment until the last possible moment. A no-nonsence 'final notice' will often bring them to their senses.
I've sent out the 'final notice before legal action' letters to no avail to 2 debtors who are now 6 months overdue.

What do I ask for if I go to the local court - is there a specific name for this kind of proceedings? Is the district court the right place to go to?

I've already incurred quite a bit of expense trying to collect these debts (phone calls, registered letters etc.) and would prefer not to use a solicitor if at all possible.

The amounts outstanding are €1,500 and €2,500 from two separate debtors, which for a small company like mine is a lot of money.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

The local court cannot offer you legal advice. So don't waste your time there.
The district court has jurisdiction for debts up to €6350, circuit court debts between €6351 and €38000 and the high court for anything above €38k.

Consult a solicitor is your best option. Recovery of debts is a time consuming and costly task. Assuming your debtors are private persons they can stall the process by claiming inability to pay etc. You will get stuck for the legal costs along the way.

Obtaining a judgement against them for the 2 debts should be easy enough costing around say 200 or so. I would think that just issuing proceedings would be enough to get them to cough up.

Best of luck with it all.

Thanks for the info. bond-007, they're actually very large companies who are well able to pay and are still using the service we provided and are, but their own admission, very happy with it.

I don't know why they are not paying - the accounts department are just giving one excuse after the other - no-one here to sign cheques, the Director is on holiday, it's in the next cheque run. This has been going on for 6 months!

I'll give the solicitor a ring then so, maybe that's the best way to deal with it as I don't know anything about the court system.

If they are very large companies then I would show no mercy. Get a solicitor on the case and make sure you add costs onto the bills.

Back