Clearing a toilet blockage

The blast of water from the hose won't be strong enough to clear the blockage . The pressure from the tap is not strong enough . You should try the big bucket of water and throw in in to the toilet in one go .

The tap in question is the garden tap so the pressure is already good. It has already proved partially effective.

I should have added that the toilet in question is one of those 'modern' lo-flo ones, i.e. the water cistern is much smaller than on the original (1060s) bathroom in the house.

Not having a clue about plumbing, I am unclear how pouring water down the bowl adds to the force of water in the flush ? If there's a blockage which is manifest in the water level in the bowl, post flush, rising to almost the rim, will adding water to the flush not just increase the risk of an overflow ?

Throw the bucket of water in when the water level is low . Dont flush at all . If it works you will see the water going straight through .
It always works for me .

On Saturday afternoon, I poured a couple of basins of water into the toilet. Could't see much of a difference in the toilet or in the outside shore. Then I looked back along the line of the drain which runs under the garage floor and saw a load of water seeping out. There is anothe shore in the garage that I hadn't realised and the water from the basins was getting caught between the blockage and the toilet and needed to find an exit.

So, I was then able to get out the rods and clear the blockage between the 2 shores so the problem is fixed. I then had a second task to clear out and make hygenic the garage floor :mad:.

PS a well-known german retailer has 15m drain rods on offer this week. I'll be a customer ;) !

Hi tarfhead glad you got it sorted . Sometimes the only thing to to is bring out the dreaded rods . I did try a power washer before, not to be recommended the water was everywhere .

Back