cleaning real wood floors

R

Rach

Hi, bought a house last year and the previous owners have the carpet ripped up in the upstairs so the real timber floors are showing. They look great but does anyone know how to clean them without them getting too damp or the timber warping?

Hi, bought a house last year and the previous owners have the carpet ripped up in the upstairs so the real timber floors are showing. They look great but does anyone know how to clean them without them getting too damp or the timber warping?

I think if they are marked the only way to clean them, if they were never sealed, would be to sand them. You can rent a sander
and it is not a difficult job. The sander has a bag attached to catch the dust.
Browtal

I use one of those Vileda mops and the Mr Sheen liquid cleaner for wood and laminate floors diluted appropriately in water. If you get the Vileda mop-bucket you can wring out the mop until it is just damp. I find the combination does a great job.

As I suffer from asthma, when I change the bed-linen I wipe down all the surfaces with a solution of cold tea and water after vacuuming. Then I wash the floors with the same solution. It helps kill off house dust-mites and neutralises their droppings.

The floors in the house are a combination of wood and tile with only one hearth-rug downstairs - made from bamboo!

Back