Classroom assistant ...

Salem

Hi guys,
Does anyone know what it takes to become a classroom assistant ... My wife would love to become one ... What qualifications would she need if any and are there any courses out there to prepare for such a position ??
We're in CLonee/Dunboyne area ...
Thanks in advance ...

no sure what qualifications are required. FAS have an excellent scheme for 3 year contracts for class assistants (you could contact them asking how to go about it and what is required etc...

or alternatively, the I.N.T.O - (irish national teachers organization). sorry, you`ll have to ring director enquiries for the no....

hope this helps

*star*

I am a teacher myself and in my school we run a course not in Clonee though. Have a look at the VEC website they should give you info or ring your local Community College. Our adults do a year long part time course - 2 days a week and it is FETAC accredited.
School of Practical Childcare in Dun Laoighre also do one think you can do it at weekends.
Hope this helps!

Hi!

Classroom assistant positions are usually Community employment jobs.Instead we have positions called "Special Needs Assistants" . At present the Dept of Education advocate that a person seeking employment as a SNA should be educationed to at least Junior Cert level.

I would suggest that a FETAC approved childcare course incorporating a module on special needs is the best option for candidates wishing to pursue such a career.

In addition as stated earlier the Progressive College of education (was called school of practical childcare in Blackrock) (in association with the FROEBEL college of education) offer a certificate and diploma courses for special needs assitants . In addition the students completing these courses also complete ONE FETAC approved module for speacial needs assistants pitched at level 5 (cert) and 6 (Diploma). These courses are run in the evening while others are at weekends. Many of their Tutors are outstanding.

FETAC courses run in VEC colleges are usually free but the courses in the other private colleges can b expensive.

If you want any more info pm me!

Back