Clampers-The low of the low

papervalue

Short rant. I was in the centra in temple bar this morning. It is the one by the heapenny bridge where their is a front door and back door. I was walking through the shop and passed a delivery guy mid shop with a box who came in the back door by temple bar square side. Outside the door he had the van on flashers with right hand side parked on footpath accross the road. The clampers were actually clamping it. Bear in mind i just passed the driver in the shop. The most he would have been gone from vehicle now is 20seconds. He was in the shop for a minute came out pleaded case, they did not want to knew. Where he was parked in reality was not effecting traffic. They drove off leaving him their. This was at 8am. If they taught he was effecting traffic why clamp him?

To sum up I felt sorry for the delivery driver, trying to do a honest days work to be treated like this.

I have seem on a number of occasions clampers rushing to clamp vehicles while someone in a shop, once they have their photo they have you. Where is the common desecency gone.

To me the clampers are the low of the low to clamp a person in this situation. Go ahead and clamp people causing an obstuction but not people you can talk to at scene

last year i was clamped in our shared office car park for which i had a parking permit, had been parking there for months in the same spot and saw the same clamper drive around it every day, one day after nct i left my permit on my dashboard rather that on the windscreen, he went and clamped it despite one of my colleagues who spotted it went out of our office and told him the car had a valid permit.

there was no talking to this clamper guy when i went out, he even had the cheek of warning me i was lucky it wasnt 'one of the black clampers' cause they wouldnt even let me appeal....

obviously the appeal was rejected!
€120 i still feel bitter about

Apparently the UK is looking to bring in new laws with regard to clampers. The same should be done here considering the amount of private operators now clamping around the place. Its a license to print money. I don't think I have ever met anyone who has had a successful appeal.

My latest pet hate is the new clamping operation in train stations. I can kind of understand it for Monday-Friday but the car parks are empty at weekends and yet they still operate 24 hour clamping. So much for encouraging people to use public transport. When you add this to the upcoming withdrawal of buses, you really do have to applaud the Green party for sticking to their principles!

Can you clamp a clamper whilst he's clamping you - bound to be a market for a mobile clamping service!

Clamping should be outlawed. If a car is parked illegally there should be a fine and if it's parked dangerously it should be removed. I think it's outrageous to immobilise someones vehicle. If I were clamped I suspect I would cut it off. One of the political parties should adopt a policy to outlaw clamping, I'm sure there would be some votes in it.

Clamping should be outlawed. If a car is parked illegally there should be a fine and if it's parked dangerously it should be removed. I think it's outrageous to immobilise someones vehicle. If I were clamped I suspect I would cut it off. One of the political parties should adopt a policy to outlaw clamping, I'm sure there would be some votes in it.

I think clamping is fair enough if you're parked in a clearway or a bus lane and and are causing serious inconvenience to everyone as it might teach you a lesson (even though I know clamping doesn't clear the obstruction but it deters people in the long run).

Clamping people who've let the meter overrun by half an hour because they got delayed or distracted is ridiculous and disproportionate. A fine should suffice.

It is important for the clampers to focus on shop deliveries. There are frequently large trucks and lorries parked on the path or in otherwise obstructive positions outside our local Centra/Spar/Londis in dangerous positions. There really should be a planning permission requirement to ensure a safe delivery route.

My daughter was fined at Tesco because she parked in the disabled bay late one evening, and there was lot of disabled spaces, she even asked the shop attendant who said it was OK. result €80 fine in the post

My daughter was fined at Tesco because she parked in the disabled bay late one evening, and there was lost of disabled spaces, she even asked the shop attendant who said it was OK. result €80 fine in the post

The shop attendant was wrong but what made your daughter think it was acceptable to park in the disabled spot in the first place? Should a disabled person sit about waiting for her to finish her shopping?

In the OP, the van was clamped for obstructing the footpath not the road. Again, should a disabled or blind person walk out onto the road to get past? I agree that in many cases the shop should not have received planning permission if a delivery bay is not available but the reality is that parking enforcement is there for a reason. Delivery vans can't park on the luas lube at harcourt so they park slightly further away and roll their deliveries to the shops and offices. They manage when they have to.

" you really do have to applaud the Green party for sticking to their principles!"

Sunny - Is there ever a reason to applaud the Green Party???????

"My daughter was fined at Tesco because she parked in the disabled bay late one evening, and there was lost of disabled spaces, she even asked the shop attendant who said it was OK. result €80 fine in the post "

Rocker - The fact is your daughter deserved the fine! Glad to hear it is being implemented.

My daughter was fined at Tesco because she parked in the disabled bay late one evening, and there was lost of disabled spaces, she even asked the shop attendant who said it was OK. result €80 fine in the post

Good

On-street parking or Tesco car park? If on-street, why on earth did she think that the shop attendant has anything to do with what kind of parking abuse was OK? If it was a Tesco car park, how did they get her address to send out the fine?

But is it the most heinous crime? I mean I never, ever park in disabled spaces myself, but if there really were 'plenty' of disabled places it sounds a bit over zealous to me.

Surely the point is to ensure that disabled people have adequate parking at all times rather than to ensure that everyone who parks in any disabled space is punished?

..not sure if it's true, but I have heard of a motorist in Dublin who used to come into town, clamp his own car, and then go off about his business...

daithi

I think parking in Disabled spaces is like jinxing yourself...I would never ever do it for fear that some day I might need one.

I have actually met some decent clampers, including one who took the clamp off my friend's crappy Fiat Uno when she was parked in a coach bay but not before locking the clamp on the nearby BMW!

Also clamping is vital in our apartment development, it's the only way we've been able to get people to park in spaces and not block doors, roads and corners.

Bottom line with the OP's issue is the delivery van was illegally parked. It's a risk you take. The sooner we adopt night time deliveries, the better traffic will move during the day and the more room there will be for delivery vehicles at night. Most western countries have primarily night time deliveries in cities.

Back