Claiming a Refund from Cancelled Trip

Gus2008

Some friends had arranged to spend Xmas in a rental property down the country, having paid in full several weeks ago. The day before they were due to travel, the owner contacted them to advise that, due to bad weather, the roads weren't great and they could reschedule if they liked. The option of a refund was not on the table as they were choosing to reschedule. They decided to head down anyway.

The day they were due (Xmas Eve) to travel, they were told the reservation was being cancelled as electricity to the property had failed. They are now looking for a full refund from the owner.

In the terms and conditions of the booking, they were advised that if the booking was cancelled by the owner for reasons of "force majeure", no refund would be made.

Any obs on this? Is it even legal? They have no interest in rescheduling the reservation (and obv. it a disaster to have the trip cancelled at such short notice!!)

Would a power cut be classed as force majeure? Force majeure in my mind would be an landslide demolishing the house or something like that.

If the owner had previously rang them offering/asking them to reschedule, I'd be thinking they might have had a double booking or something.

whatever the story, I think they should get a full refund. If the owner isn't willing, the small claims court would be my next port of call.

Back