claim for costs under income or against capital gains?

aristotle

Hi,

I am selling an investment property and the tenancy ended on 9th May 2024.
I have paid about 7k in fixing windows and painting during the last 2 weeks of the tenancy, is it ok to claim these costs against the rental income?

In reality the painting (about 6k) was only done to get the place in order for selling so I have probably answered my own question there, it should be claimed against capital gains? But it was done during the tenancy so I am not sure.

Thanks

To be honest if I were the tenant I'd be mighty pissed off you painted the place when tenant was in last 2 weeks, maybe you allowed him to stay longer and that's how it came about.

But I don't think you can write off the painting against CGT, isn't that only for enhancement expenditure. If the window needing fixing than that's a normal repair but it is odd to do it 2 weeks before the tenant leaves. But having said that, if the toilet broke down and you hired a plumber it's a legitimate expense.

Why are you selling?

The painting was while the tenant had moved most of there stuff out and were not sleeping there. Tenant shouldn’t be too annoyed given they caused so much of the reasons for needing to paint (smoking in the house, cat in the house, both not allowed under the lease). They still owe rent, left the place in a colossal mess, caused a fair bit of damage too.

Why selling, for me it is because I want the cash to buy a family home (we will be selling our primary residence too).

Plus I don’t want the hassle of being a landlord any longer and all the issues with that (rent is way under market rent (about 40% of the market rate I could get) thanks to RPZ and ongoing changing legislation are the two main issues). And interest rate rises make it a poor investment.

Guess I’ll claim it all against the rental income tax.

Thanks Artitotle. I love that you've proved the value of a written lease ! It's amazing the messes that are left behind. No respect.

Back