Civil Service is nice soft easy job, no pressure compared to the private sector

[broken link removed]

The thermal power station at Poolbeg in Dublin - where staff costs run at €103,000 a head - consists of three aging individual units producing 490 megawatts of power in total.

Plenty of coverage of ESB salaries in the media recently - so it's paper talk rather than pub talk, even an average of 65k is hardly cheap, certainly most private sector workers would consider this a substantial amount of money.

Naturally the 65k figure doesn't factor in the full cost of funding ESB pensions.

Well said ashambles. Wrong again Dipole.

€65k plus DB pension. That's where the €80k came from. Apologies, but I can't remember the report I read it in though I have looked for it.
I do not think that the majority of people who work in the public sector work any less hard that their those in the private sector. I do however think that while for many (especially in the civil service) there is what is in reality a job for life and a much better pension than in the private sector the notion of benchmarking is bogus.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see a comparison of the impact of the rise in electricity prices against the rise in house prices, and assess their respective impacts on our competitiveness or otherwise? .

Not really because I am not sure what you are comparing. Maybe people are mis-informed on this site and elsewhere about the ESB but when a Government sponsored report points out that the company is inefficient and staff costs are one of the main reasons, you can understand why people who have to pay larger bills to a monopoly state owned company are complaining. Even the ESB have admitted that electricity costs to the manufacturing industry are too high by European standards.

€65k plus DB pension. That's where the €80k came from. .

Yeah- you're right there.
On page 92 of the report D&T mention Powergen payroll cost and (I think) Group average salary in the same paragraph.

On page 224 they mention the high level of overtime in the power plants.

Back