City Break in Berlin

sisterlylove

Hi Guys!
2 of us heading to Berlin primarily for the christmas markets. Can anyone recommend Sightseeing, places to eat, things to do etc..... Also was wondering has any1 experienced these markets before.....
Thanks a mil

there was a piece on rte's drivetime tonight might be some use you should be able to get it online have a great time think they said it was a european new york

take the open top bus tour and stay on for the whole trip. you will see all the sights and then decide where you want to visit.
it will be getting cold in Berlin so wrap up well.

you can also take the 100 bus from alexanderplatz, it costs the same as a normal bus (and you can use your day pass on it) you don't get any commentary but it does go up unter den linten passed the museum island and up to the brandenburg gate and around by the reichstag and then up towards the english gardens, so you get a great view of some of the highlights of the city.

was in berlin in the summer, amazing city, we got a great deal at the weekend in the park inn on alexanderplatz as it's mostly a business hotel.

was in berlin 3 weeks ago and at night it was awfully cold. Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburg gates & Reichstag are worth a viewing. Ate in an Argentinian steak house (name escapes me) close to Checkpoint Charlie off down a street to the right if Reichstag behind you and it was tasty and very reasonable. Was in the Hilton hotel, nice but way too expensive. Thought I would take the train in from Schoenefeld airport...unless you get the express train then save yourself hassle and get a taxi about 40euro. I missed the express and ended up getting the equivalents of the Dart, changed platforms and onto another "Dart" and onto underground from Alexanderplatz

ENjoy

as previous posters suggested bus 100 (starts Alexanderplatz) shows you plenty of sightseeing stuff in Berlin. take lots of warm clothes with you as it's already quite cold there (not comparable to Dublin!). go to the Fernsehturm at the Alexanderplatz. You can get a lovely view of Berlin and they have a nice restaurant up there. I love the Christmas markets btw. The big one at the Alexanderplatz is pretty commercial but still nice but the small ones such as in Spandau are more traditional, cosy and just lovely.

Have a great time. I'm heading myself over in two weeks time. Can't wait!

what they said above. try the best western city ost hotel for good value and convenience (only 4 stops to alexanderplatz with nightlife within walking distance) Also, try the walking tours of the city. Museum Island too. Loads of cheap places to eat. try renting a bike. I did that recently and it was good. Cycle lanes everywhere. Have a look at the inyourpocket guides free online. If you're traveling with aerlingus make sure you know your platforms on the way back. Signage is a disaster at alexanderplatz and ostbahnhof as regards the airport.

Thanks a mil for all your help.... This is my 1st time using this site and will def use it again and recommend it.... Pyritepete im also staying in the Hilton. Is the Location good? From looking at the website it seems central enough! As for all the other comments.... Great help.. Thank you

Hi sisterlylove, its close to the main shopping street Freidrichstraffe ( or something like this ) and its 15 mins walk to Brandenburg gates, then just around the corner for the Reichstag. ITs a good location. The underground is right at the front door and is 3 stops away from Alexanderplaz.

Enjoy, dont forget to wrap up well !

Back