CITROEN C4, good buy?

LF123

I'm thinking of buying a new car and the Citroen C4 seems to be the only one that is appealing to me right now. I would be looking at a 2005-2007 model as my budget is quite tight.

I have heard that they are a good buy regarding gadgets etc, I'm just wondering what exactly these gadgets are? I'm quite a technical person so the more gadgets the better!

I want a reliable, enjoyable car to drive as I have been stuck with the family hand-me-downs for several years and this will be my first official buy so I want to get it right!

Any other suggestion on a 3dr, sleek looking reliable car under €8500? Thanks.

Reliable......I don't think so and the depreciation is savage. What do you think of this toyota? Take a look at the original price in the window:eek: [broken link removed] or this? [broken link removed] .One more for you [broken link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
oh no! are they really that unreliable?!! Yeah the Toyota is quite slick looking, and good make! thanks for your help!

Hi LF123

I have a fleet of both commercial and passenger citroen and Peugoet vehicles, we have 2 C4 car based vans both 09 with in excess of 60,000Km on the clock.

We have berlingos, C5's and 407's also, not one problem of concern in the past 3 years.

Prior to to this we had Renaults and Nissans (still have some Nissans) but seem to have had a lot more problems with them.

Secret is to have the serviced when recommended. Go diesel as the engines are frugal on juice and bullet proof.

Tks

Is the C4 the one with the pillar box rear window?

If so, that would put me off. I like the look of them generally but wouldn't buy one (reliability).

Thanks Mavis!!! I would agree with you on Nissan!!! I'm currently driving a primera '01 and i'm waiting for it to pop its clogs! it has a problem with the timing chain, aparently quite a common problem with nissan that costs €2000 to fix! i've been told by my mechanic to invest in a new car as i'm wasting my time with the primera!

I love driving and really just want a comfortable stylish and reliable car!

Drive a 5dr C4 myself (bought new in '05) and have never had an issue with it.
Agree about the 3dr version and also agree with servicing it when due!

I purchased a C4, new in 2005. I like the look of the car and generally it handles very well and is very comfortable. The negatives for me were that since purchasing it there have been 3 recalls. This means taking time of work to leave in and collect car etc.
Citroen parts are very expensive for example the wiper blades are €60 per set. Also they don't carry parts in stock but they have to be ordered in from the U.K.

Don't talk about the car horn. See separate thread.

I have nothing good to say about the 3 Citroen dealers that I have had to deal with. Nothing serious but annoyingly petty. For example when leaving my car in for one of the recalls I got it back with a big oily hand print on the inside roof of my car. On another recall the mechanic decided to change the radio stations on my car and put in place an automatic door locking system in my car that I hadn't asked for nor was it part of the recall problem. When I asked the mechanic why he had done this he said that this is what lady drivers want??? I am not a lady driver.

When I complained to the General Manager of one dealership he said.."Well if I lose your business then I lose your business".

I was also told that Citroen Ireland is now run from the U.K.

Other than that it is a good car and well worth considering.

Back