Church Avenue House / Rialto / Fatima/Herberton

• Thread starter Rocky Racoon
  • Start date
R

Rocky Racoon

Looking at buying one of these -
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=475929

Pros:
Decent size house - 110sqm - 3 bedroom, 3 bath, garden.
Well fitted out - nice kitchen, bathroom
Near town / good transport links
Rialto village seems nice - shops, pubs, cafes, etc..

Cons
??
The house is part of the re-development of the former fatima mansions.
The house itself backs onto new council houses.

There's lots of positive press coverage about this project but how much of it is true??

So concerns are:
Is it safe?? I have 2 young kids. there's houses with high fences and barbed wire..not a good sign?
Are there many other "middle class families / proffesionals" with young kids in the area? (sorry if I sound like a snob)
How do the mix of new arrivals (e.g. in the nice herberton apartments) and the older locals get on? What are my new neighbours like? Is there a community spirit?
What's the ratio between the two - i.e. former fatima mansions residents - and newbies.
- Also what % of those apartments haven't sold? If they don't sell what happens to them? Council?
- Is the area noisy? I need my sleep...

Have a slight paranoid fear that this project won't work if the irish economic situation continues to deteriorate. I.e. the government has poured money into this and that money will now dry up. And if people aren't working + disenfranchised etc the whole thing could just return to being a dangerous, run-down inner city estate...and obviously the house would be hard to sell

So:
Has anyone else looked at these houses? Thoughts??
Have you put an offer in?? How much??

What do current residents think of the area?
Have you moved in recently? Regret it??
Do you feel safe?? Any incidents??

Honest feedback / thoughts would really be appreciated. obviously everyone has their own opinion on the market and how much further it will fall etc... (i persoanlly think houses in central dublin are close to bottoming out soon) so more concerned about the area and it's prospects v. similiar areas (Inchicore, Crumlin, Ringsend etc) as this will determine it's future value / and general happiness there!

Cheers!!

p.s. None of the above is meant to offend any residents - from what i've seen of the area and the project I like.... Just throwing my worst fears out there - based on the reputation the area once had...

I was going to buy myself an apartment and I spent there some
afternoons
asked people living there etc...
If you go there and spend sometime,
most of the times it is quiet, there are some
and noisy kids from time to time.
I dont mind noise from kids anyway as long as they are
just playing.
I dont know about bulglaries etc
I would get informed very well if in the future you want
your kids to play with
the kids from the neighbourhood. There is still a problem with drugs in the area. I dont know if worst than any other
areas around city centre. I would also ask local police.
I dont say its all bad, there is nice local people as well
fighting to clean their reputation and fighting drugs
creating activites for children painting...etc.
You could go there and have a chat with the community,
see what kind of kids and parents live around.
I have still seen bad but I have also seen good and I am sure the area improved a lot although it is not all clean yet.
I dont have kids so I did not bother so much about that.

Thanks Havana / Uma

Havana - it's a tough call - that other thread seems 50-50!

Uma - can I ask what put you off in the end??

Will certainly spend more time out there like you suggest...and chat to the neighbours etc.

cheers again

Like you I was feeling uncertain about how the area will mature, I was worried and in my case about the situation of prices going down.
But sure I asked young profesionals living there without kids, friends of mine and they are happy. So it will depend also on your situation.

True, but I think many of the negatives were from people who don't live there, or basing their opinions on the history of the area.

I don't have kids, so obviously was looking at the area from a different perspective. The new community centre is meant to be great- I have yet to visit it. The gym is wonderful.

I suppose all city centre locations will have their issues, but one thing here has going for it is that a lot of work is going into improving things.

Back