Christmas spending on nephews & nieces

R

rmelly

What do most other people spend on their nephews/nieces for Christmas?

I have no children, but have 2 siblings with 2 children each, between 6 months and 8. I love Christmas, so normally go a bit overboard with presents for them - I'm fairly sensible with spending/budgeting over the year so the money isn't an issue, even after 'belt tightening'.

You could gain some brownie points from your siblings by brings the kids (who are old enough) off to the panto.

Otherwise, try to buy something for the "playroom" rather than for each kid....so get one decent thing for each family.

I'd normally budget about €20 per kid.

I have 23 nieces and nephews.....I`m hibernating for the winter!

I have nearly the same. What we do is buy presents for Godchildren and then it's sweets/selection boxes for the rest. It was getting crazy there for a while.

23 is loads....how about each person buys for 1 other family? Or just stick to godchildren.

It does get crazy & I spent years trying to get my family to cut back...the 3 kids walked away with with close to 40 presents (loads of stocking fillers & junk) one year, JUST from my side of the family! They didn't even know who had given half of them!!
The next year was far better, they got a sum total of 4 presents between them...they got a portable DVD, a new playstation game, a DVD & a set of books....parents and kids much happier as the house wasn't filled with rubbish & they got some really good & wanted presents.

Though their favourite present every year is from an aunt who brings them to the cinema....we love it too!!

Some very good suggestions here. As the numbers grow it is a good idea to come to an agreement such as buying for godchildren, or one family buying for another rather than trying to buy something for everyone. It gets crazy otherwise and the children get so much they dont know where to begin. Also if there has been a job lost by a member of a family it's an increased pressure that they dont need.

I agree that it is crazy for kids to be getting presents from their aunts and uncles. THe number of presents gets ridiculous. The kids dont appreciate gifts when they get too many, and the aunts and uncles do feel under pressure to buy presents if everyone else is, which is not fair.

We pair each of the kids with a cousin of approx the same age and they exchange presents. The kids get one decent present and no-one is under unfair pressure.

Generous single and non-parent aunts and uncles who really want to buy presents can of course buy them, but suggestions for trips to cinema / panto, vouchers for clothes shops etc are a great idea.

Even at 7, my daughter loves the idea of having money or a voucher to go to a shop to choose stuff for herself.

Hibernating!!! That's the word!! We've all decided FAMILY is the BIG ONE this Christmas!

I've been preaching this for 30 yrs!! They laughed, they NEVER really cried, but now they are wondering HOW COME someone as old as my mum could possibly KNOW how the DEpression was on the way...

Ask any MATURE PERSON!!

Back