Christmas presents for teachers.

liaconn

Just read the attached and was wondering what people think of giving presents to teachers at Christmas. Personally, while I see no harm in giving the teacher a box of after eights or a scented candle, I think there will always be parents who will use the excuse to show off and lavish something expensive on the teacher, thereby putting pressure on other parents, so maybe it's time to knock this tradition on the head and specify that cards only should be given.

Primary school principals are urging parents and pupils not to buy gifts for teachers this Christmas.
The Irish Primary Principals' Network said the practice of children giving often expensive presents to teachers became widespread during the Celtic Tiger era and the organisation said it still continues.
The IPPN said accepting gifts can cause acute embarrassment to individual teachers who are conscious of parents and children who are not in a position to engage in such largesse.
Advertisement

The organisation said that on Friday an eight-year-old girl attending a Co Dublin school presented her teacher with a €200 voucher for an upmarket city centre department store.
It is urging families to show their appreciation of work done by teachers in a different way this year.
It said teachers would be more than happy to receive a homemade card or gift from a pupil that reflects some aspect of class work engaged in during the year.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1221/education.html

Tradition?

Never heard of it except in the last couple of years. I took it to be something imported from the US maybe and as a result of High School musical and stuff like that? It was certainly never a tradition when I was growing up and I'm not that old.

I think it's all very silly.

I remember it going on when I was in school (years and years and years ago :)) but it was always small stuff like scented soap or a calander or something. People didn't have much money in those days and there wasn't so much showing off going on .

It was going on 25-30 years ago when I was in primary school. I don't have a problem with it if the teacher has been helpful and the gift is small.

I remember it when I was in second class, >30 years ago.

My daughter came home with a note from the school a few weeks ago saying that parents should not send in gifts this Christmas.

As far as today's story is concerned, the parents behind that €200 voucher deserve a slap across the back of the head. That sort of of nonsense is self-perpetuating.

They should introduce a special 75% tax rate for people with more money than sense.

My son's school play was last week and the school asked that no presents be given to teachers but that a donation be made to SVP and they did a collection at the door afterwards.

Tradition?

Never heard of it except in the last couple of years. I took it to be something imported from the US maybe and as a result of High School musical and stuff like that? It was certainly never a tradition when I was growing up and I'm not that old.

I think it's all very silly.
Yea you are!! See you other post about hitting 40!!:p

A parent in my sons class has orgainised a whip around for the teacher in the last few years.
For a couple of years she had asked for 20e per person and this is converted into a voucher for the teacher.
However this year the amount has been reduced to ten euro or whatever you want to contruibute,those who dont want too dont have too.
I would usually spend 5 to 7 e,so I opt out.

As a public servant, I am contractually barred from accepting gifts for personal benefit. If I do get something from a speaking engagement (like a carriage clock last year), it goes into a Christmas raffle for all employees. This makes sure there is no possibility of 'buying influence' through gifts. Revenue - try it sometime.

Teachers should not be accepting presents, and parents should certainly not be doing whiprounds. We got a note from the school a week or two ago saying 'no presents' this year. A home-made card or something made by a child is ideal.

As a public servant, I am contractually barred from accepting gifts for personal benefit. If I do get something from a speaking engagement (like a carriage clock last year), it goes into a Christmas raffle for all employees. This makes sure there is no possibility of 'buying influence' through gifts. Revenue - try it sometime.

Teachers should not be accepting presents, and parents should certainly not be doing whiprounds. We got a note from the school a week or two ago saying 'no presents' this year. A home-made card or something made by a child is ideal.

Thats very interesting, I know a public servant who accepted a gift of the loan of an holiday apartment.
So does this mean that the teachers whom have accepted vouchers etc in the past .must declare them to revenue?

Thats very interesting, I know a public servant who accepted a gift of the loan of an holiday apartment.
Each public body has their own policies and procedures. You might want to check with the body concerned. Was the loan from a supplier?

Your friend wasn't in the Financial Regulator's office by any chance? They seem to have loads of perks :D

To be honest, if teachers are doing some extra curicular work such as taking the football team or art, chess etc. after school I see no problem with a present under €10. A small token such as a book, chocolates is a way of saying thank you.

My Wife just picked up some scented candles in Ikea for my sons teacher. She was dropping him in today and seen that all the other parents seemed to be leaving something for the teacher and I think the thought of him being the only pupil NOT to give a present kinda made her feel like she had to.

She mentioned that the Lollypop lady had scores of bottles of wine and boxes of chocolates lying around the footpath also. Now I draw the line at getting a prsent for someone who pushes the button on the traffic lights for my some twice a day.

A 200 Euro voucher!!! Jeepers, I'm in the wrong job, I've actually saved lives and the most I've got is a bottle of wine or a box of Roses and no I have no intention of reporting it to Revenue!!!!

Back