Christmas Bonus ?

jprender

I was just wondering if there is anyone working in the financial sector, eg mortgage or pensions area, expecting a bonus in their paycheck this month ?

I dont think there should me much of this, but tbh this is Ireland and nothing would surprise me !

Got one in 2006 and doubled it in 2007
There is a bonus alright for 2008 but it ain't much after 41% tax
Actually, no it's paid in January so to answer your question, won't be getting a bonus this month

Your post isn't clear, are you saying staff shouldn't get bonuses? Sure how does it matter to you?
Are we are all useless and deserve to be fired?

Well, to answer your question, I find it hard to fathom how pension fund managers can get a bonus when the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language has fallen out of every pension fund going.

I suppose there will be the usual awards given to particular companies for pension performance aswell. I can almost hear the radio adverts already!

Doesn't really matter to me as such; I decided not to put my hard earned money into a pension scheme where people get rewarded even if the performance is sh1te.

I just wondered if the mutual back slapping would continue in this sector seeing as it has been a dismal year and Joe Public has been getting pounded.

Hey, and no need to get so defensive, unless you are feeling a little guilt about the matter.

if there is anyone working in the financial sector, eg mortgage or pensions area

Your post includes everyone from the fund manager collecting mega bonuses to the administrator earning a salary of 24k and then everyone in between.

But your second post is only aimed at fund managers. Surely you see the issue here.
It's the same as blaming the cashier in your branch for the mistakes her CEO and board of directors took.

Now I know how civil servants feel when there are threads attacking them all on this website:p

True, it's so hard not to tar everyone with this really wide brush I have !!

Of course administration staff should continue to receive big bonuses ;)

:rolleyes: poor public sector staff like me get no bonus! They won't even pay for our christmas parties!

:rolleyes: poor public sector staff like me get no bonus! They won't even pay for our christmas parties!

...and poor private sector staff like me have never received a Christmas bonus in 20 years of employment. Same goes for a lot of people I know. It's not nearly as common as those in the public sector seem to believe.

Got one in 2006 and doubled it in 2007
There is a bonus alright for 2008 but it ain't much after 41% tax
Actually, no it's paid in January so to answer your question, won't be getting a bonus this month

Your post isn't clear, are you saying staff shouldn't get bonuses? Sure how does it matter to you?
Are we are all useless and deserve to be fired?

Obnoxious Post of the Month award winner!

Christmas bonuses have in my experience of the private sector most often paid out to lower paid staff, often those who get paid weekly or bi-weekly.

So the public sector wants, or at least is jealous of, the odd little perk of the lower paid, but want the salaries of the higher paid, and still with public sector job security and unaffordable pensions.

Sweet.

Like Caveat I've also worked in the (non finance) private sector for 20+ years and have never received an Xmas bonus. Not complaining - it's not part of my contract so I don't expect one. Also haven't had an Xmas party for most of the last 10 years. Again doesn't really bother me.

10 years in private sector , the nearest I ever got to a Christmas bonus was a bottle of win about 6 years ago.

If you are on the dole you get a bonus of an extra weeks pay. Why?

If you are on the dole you get a bonus of an extra weeks pay. Why?

Social Welfare ( pensioners incl ) recipients get a bonus payment which has been an agreed policy of past & present governments going back many years.

We got a new manager from the private sector who brought all his staff to lunch (about 6) for Christmas. He then submitted the bill with his expences in January. The GM returned it to him with saying that if he was to pay this he would be forced to buy everyone lunch and he didn't have €10,000 to spare.

Back