Choosing between Ryanair or Aer Lingus to fly to Rome from Dublin

Why didn't you swap with the parents?
OK, I know why not! They refused!

To be honest with you I never thought of that. I think I was too gob smacked at the utter lack of control the parents had over their children. Should have told them to attend a parenting course or buy a bottle of common sense.

I have children - three of them - and I've travelled all over with them but I never allowed them to inflict their bad behaviour on others. When we travelled I prepared for it - each of them had a little backpack with a drink, a snack, a new book, colouring book, colouring pencils, cd player with a new cd with either music or a story depending on their age. I also reconciled myself to the fact that both my husband and myself would have to spend the entire flight supervising them and keeping them occupied, that's parenting! The parents of the children who kicked my seat non-stop chose not to sit with their own children, the mother was reading a magazine and the father was doing a crossword, they neither supervised their children nor provided them with ANYTHING to keep them amused - a total abdication of all responsibility!

If I'm smug - you're judgmental! It's just not rocket science, if adults need diversion on a flight so do their children.

Remember the scrum to board the Ryanair aircraft isn't initiated by children but by badly behaved adults.

Bad parenting in times past no doubt!

I have no interest in getting involved with trading insults with lionstour, I made a simple point - if you have children, you take responsibility for them.

The Rome airport Ryanair flies into amazingly is quite close to Rome city. I got a bus (Terravision or similar) into the city centre, very convenient & a short trip, nothing like Pisa (for Florence) or Paris Beauvais.

I went with Ryanair to Rome and everything went well. We used the terravision bus, booked online for 8 euro return and it was grand. We were waiting about 30 mins for bus into Rome as bit of a queue, but it wasn't a major issue. The bus only took about 30 mins or maybe less into the city centre ( termini train station) and our hotel was 5 mins walk away.

On any flight, you don't control who sits beside you, regardless of who you fly with. Going over, a screaming toddler was behind us, but returning to Dublin, we avoided the large noisy Italian student group as they didnt pay the priority boarding charge!

we recently returned from Rome with our young daughter, A Lingus were fantastic on way out and back, gave us 3 seats although our daughter is under 2. Told other passengers that the overhead lockers were reserved for our carry on luggage. Cabin staff were brilliant, gave our daughter some treats on way out & back. Collapsible stroller was no problem either. Got a taxi into Rome and back again = 80 quid. As everyone knows boarding with young children is a priority, so no scrum.

Told other passengers that the overhead lockers were reserved for our carry on luggage.

I have to say that this bugs me with Ryanair. I have seen so many people getting on the plane and putting their luggage in the overhead lockers to the front of the plane then they take a seat at the back of the plane.

I don`t queue.I just sit down and wait till there are just a few people left. Granted it is not for everyone and if everyone did it it wouldn`t work.

Back