Chipped sink

philipb

I managed to take a chip (about the size of a shirt button) out of our bathroom sink. It has actually punctured the basin itself, so that water escapes. Given that there is actually a hole there, as opposed to just a crack, will one of those epoxy repair kits actually work? Or am I looking at replacing the sink? Thanks

If the surface is preparted correctly, epoxy will seal it effectively. You'll always notice the repair though.

Yes, I agree with Leo, it would be possible.

You could also use some epoxy tape type stuff, available from motor factors for sealing exhaust pipes... you'd use this first on the underside of the sink, let it set, and then fill in from above using an epoxy paste.

The exhaust stuff is probably unneccessary.. but you do need something on the back.. so duct tape would work too.

You can get white two part wood filler from hardware or paint shops.. (Woodworkers if in Dublin). Woodworkers sell a little tin of white 2 part woodfillers for about 7.50. (Very similar to car body fillers and fully waterproof when set)

The repair wil be noticeable but it need not look terrible.. it all depends on how well you carry out the repair.

If the backside of the sink is in-accessible then the repair would be much harder, and it may not work.

Same thing happened to our bath - my husband repaired it and the repair has held for 8-10 years now (can't remember exactly when but a long time ago). The repair is white so it matches the bath fairly well - you'd notice it (about 1" diameter) but it doesn't look awful.

Back