Childrens Hospital cost overrun and this RTE nonsense.

WizardDr

I am truly gob smacked.

We now have this RTE nonsense being taken to a level that is going to flatten the organisation and many of those involved are either gone or are in a home for the bewildered.

Yet we had this Children's Hospital overrun which nobody has been held accountable and the public didn't even get excited.

Was is it about this country at times?

I am truly gob smacked.

We now have this RTE nonsense being taken to a level that is going to flatten the organisation and many of those involved are either gone or are in a home for the bewildered.

Yet we had this Children's Hospital overrun which nobody has been held accountable and the public didn't even get excited.

Was is it about this country at times?
I don't care about the Children's hospital overrun. Discussing it distracts from the much more important issue of structural waste within the Health Service.
I care little about RTE other than the fact that they set themselves up as some sort of bastion of virtue because they are the State Broadcaster, as if that means they are operating on some higher moral plain, so seeing them being exposed as a self serving grubby organisation gives me some pleasure.

If we don't tackle things like the children's hospital overrun... it significantly impacts the state's ability to deliver needed capital projects.

I don't see it as an either or... the ratchet needs to be applied across the board.

If we don't tackle things like the children's hospital overrun... it significantly impacts the state's ability to deliver needed capital projects.

I don't see it as an either or... the ratchet needs to be applied across the board.
I'd rather deal with the HSE iceberg than move the Children's Hospital deckchairs.

I'm someone who deals with Public Sector tenders as part of my day job (tech in my case). Firstly, the scoping of contracts within the public Sector is usually poor, their procurement is disconnected from the business and invariably, there are too many contractors and consultants out to cover their backside/feather their employers coffers. Too many talkers, not enough decision makers

Secondly, they are moving to fixed price contracts but don't recognise that fixed price adds a risk premium to companies bidding. If the bidder is not desperate, he is going to add 20%+ to the tender to cover themselves

Thirdly, they do not really get change management and the fact that it might be fixed price, but it is fixed from a specific set of requirements and if you change those requirements, you are going to get charged. Change in an existing contract usually costs more then if it had been factored in from the start

Lastly, from a budgeting perspective, my experience is that the concept of a risk reserve to deal with change is non-existant and not understood

Back