Child Maintenance-age of dependency'

speiderhaus

Can someone please advise me on what age I will cease paying maintenance for my son.I pay €410 per month - to be paid up until his dependency.

However, he turned 18 late last year and left college before Christmas ( too young - should have done a Transition Year ). At the moment he is working in a retail shop pending his return to a new college course next September ( hopefully).

Naturally I am still contributing at the moment to support his return to education.However, what is the age which maintenance ends, please - is it 23?
I ask because the divorce papers only mention ' age of dependency' - and times are getting tough.
many thanks in anticipation.

23 . Or when ceases full time education. Whichever is the earlier.

mf

Just to add, if the child is not likely to ever become independent (e.g. disability etc.,) then the requirement for parental maintenance is not age dependent.

Just wondering about maintenance in the following situations:
1. Under age 22 and not in full time education
2. Age over 23 and still in full time education

The state pays up to age 22
(if you are getting a long-term social welfare payment and your child is in full-time education, an Increase for a Qualified Child will be paid up to 22 years of age or up to the end of the academic year in which he or she reaches 22)

Sorry - should have specified - I meant would the children's father be still liable for maintenance in the case where child is:
1. Under age 22 and not in full time education
2. Age over 23 and still in full time education
Many thanks

Thanks Guys. My fundamental concern is that he gets back to college - and he appears to be focussed on that. i think that the fees for the first year will have to be paid with the lower fees for subsequent years - I think,

I think that the fees for the first year will have to be paid with the lower fees for subsequent years - I think,

The rule used to be if they pulled out of their course before 31st October they did not incur fees and could switch to another course the following year but not sure if this may have changed. These rules may give some advice.

Back