Child Care

Q

Quickprice

Hi

New baby on the way and I was just wondering if anybody can tell me can you claim back any tax on child care as the cost of putting the child in a creche is going to cripple my financially and I was wondering if anybody had any help on this issue. It's my first child and so far this is the only thing that is worrying me, MAD I KNOW!!

No you can't claim tax back on child care. You or your spouse can claim a home carer tax credit and personal tax credits if one of you is earning less than €6,880 per year but only if you're married. You might be able to claim other benefits depending on your income.

The early child care supplement was supposed to help with childcare costs but that is going to be halved in May and abolished in December. Not that it came close to full time child care costs anyway.

A Home Carer’s Tax Credit can be claimed when:
  • The married couple is jointly assessed for tax
  • One spouse works in the home caring for one or more dependent people
  • The home carer’s own income is below €5,080 in the tax year you are claiming for.
You can claim a reduced credit if the carer's income is between €5,080 and €6,880 in 2009 (unchanged from 2008).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...ax-credits-and-reliefs/home-carers-tax-credit

Last edited:
THanks for your feedback. I'll have to think of alternative arrangements. Does anybody know if maybe you pay for 2 or 3 days in a creche. So far all the ones I have checked out want full payment for the week even if I was leaving the child in for a couple of days and then a couple of days with relatives

THanks for your feedback. I'll have to think of alternative arrangements. Does anybody know if maybe you pay for 2 or 3 days in a creche. So far all the ones I have checked out want full payment for the week even if I was leaving the child in for a couple of days and then a couple of days with relatives

Yes you can depending on the creche..

I know lots of people who pay 2/3 days in creche and use family for 2/3 days. It may be that they're not so busy anymore and are trying to get better value from the customers that they have.

THanks I'll keep checking it out. Thanks for feedback

Back